French Naval Aircraft Wreck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tac-67

Airman
Apr 13, 2006
Another photo from my collection, appears to be a French naval aircraft. I cannot make out the type on the tail. Anyone know the type and story of this aircraft? Enjoy!

Attachments

• French Wreck.jpg
    French Wreck.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 246
Now as I look at the photo, after seeing Verner's profile photo, I see what appears to be the back end of one of the floats. Thanks for the reply.

verner is correct...it is indeed a Latecoere 298, a torpedo bomber designed for coastal and anti-submarine patrols. They were thrown into the fray during 1940 strafing German ground columns in the vicinity of Boulogne and the Somme, which was really not the role it was designed for.

More info here:

Latécoère 298 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit - further research reveals that on May 23rd, 1940 this aircraft was most likely belonged to either the French fleet air arm T2 or T3 squadrons (both of which flew into action on that day and both based at Cherbourg) They attacked the German troops with 10 Latécoère 298 seaplanes, armed with machineguns and their torpedo bays armed with 500 kg bomb loads. 4 aircrafts were shot down, the one pictured above is obviously one of them.

Last edited:
looks like it's been there a while, long grass under the wing and really short around the wing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back