From Havoc?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

EnneBi

Airman
Feb 22, 2022
What's this?

Attachments

• IMG-20221109-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221109-WA0000.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 54
What's this?
I know exactly what it is. It's from the "moving target attachment" of a British or Canadian (or even Australian) course setting bomb sight, (CSBS) Mark VII or Mark IX. I've attached a picture taken from eBay, where someone is selling the whole thing. The brass bar you have is one of two you can see in the center of the circular mount. As a secondary thought, I'm completing one of these sights myself, if you happen to find any more pieces. That's what I do in my spare time: restore these sights, sell them, etc etc.

The CSBS Mark VII and IX was standard issue for RAF aircraft from 1935 until practically the end of the war. Even so they're rare today. The Mark VII was for slower bombers, and the Mark IX was for Beauforts, Lancasters, Wellingtons, Hampdens and even Mosquitos

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 20
  • s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 21
I know exactly what it is. It's from the "moving target attachment" of a British or Canadian (or even Australian) course setting bomb sight, (CSBS) Mark VII or Mark IX. I've attached a picture taken from eBay, where someone is selling the whole thing. The brass bar you have is one of two you can see in the center of the circular mount. As a secondary thought, I'm completing one of these sights myself, if you happen to find any more pieces. That's what I do in my spare time: restore these sights, sell them, etc etc.

The CSBS Mark VII and IX was standard issue for RAF aircraft from 1935 until practically the end of the war. Even so they're rare today. The Mark VII was for slower bombers, and the Mark IX was for Beauforts, Lancasters, Wellingtons, Hampdens and even Mosquitos
Great! Thank so much!!!

A good catch. It looks like. The speed range for the requested scale is to 70 knots while these in the pics have it to 50 kn.

View attachment 694468
the source: the net.
Yes, that 70 knot indication is odd. All I can suggest is that these sights were updated from time to time. The Mark IX is basically the same as the Mark VII except with an extension for the airspeed 'arm' to cope with faster aircraft. The extension is no more than a wire square that makes it possible for the aimer to bring the target into the sight picture when it's further away. Perhaps this 70 knot calibration was a similar type of update? The CSBS went on to be uprated to a Mark IXE. That said, I wonder how often anyone encountered a target moving at 70 knots? It seems a bit unlikely!

I think you can be right on the calibration. Also you are right , the 70 knots for a moving target seem to be quite strange. Anyway, the part really seems to be a piece of an aiming mechanism or a calculator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back