FuG 202 antenna scratch build 1/72 opinion sought

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildsau

Senior Airman
Oct 22, 2019
I've made my own FuF 202 antenna to replace the kit version. What do you think am I on the right track? Took 1/2 hour to do one. Not an easy scratch build. if you think there's an easier way to make them do tell. Of course I could take a short cut and buy phot etch.

49590688313_b2be1063bb_o1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking very nice. :thumbright:
Personally I would use the plastic rods or modify the kit part. It would be easier IMHO...

BTW ... it is better to upload pics directly onto our server. Just you have to remember about resizing them down if these are large or using of the Thumbnail option for displaying. Also for a such small detail it is useful to clip a large pic to the part you want to show. I have done that to your pic above. Looking quite good I would say.

Looking very nice. :thumbright:
Personally I would use the plastic rods or modify the kit part. It would be easier IMHO...

BTW ... it is better to upload pics directly onto our server. Just you have to remember about resizing them down if these are large or using of the Thumbnail option for displaying. Also for a such small detail it is useful to clip a large pic to the part you want to show. I have done that to your pic above. Looking quite good I would say.

Thanks I might experiment with left over sprue

It's a big improvement over the kit part. Casting those in 1/72 will inevitably lead to antennae that are way too thick so scratch built alternatives make for much better scale representations. The only thing I would suggest is that you find a way to assemble them flat in a jig so that the dipoles are in-plane and perpendicular to the supports. You could get a chunk of wood and cut grooves in it to hold the parts before gluing them.

It's a big improvement over the kit part. Casting those in 1/72 will inevitably lead to antennae that are way too thick so scratch built alternatives make for much better scale representations. The only thing I would suggest is that you find a way to assemble them flat in a jig so that the dipoles are in-plane and perpendicular to the supports. You could get a chunk of wood and cut grooves in it to hold the parts before gluing them.

Yeah I may try that otherwise it's very hard to get them lined up nicely

If you're working in that small a scale, for resilience I'd suggest using nylon bristles from a brush with the thickness you need. That way they won't break.
But you absolutely must get them aligned in both axes to look their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back