Fujimi or Matchbox FW190 markings - info please

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

backstop

Recruit
Mar 28, 2008
I'm trying to identify the markings on a FW 190 plastic kit that I'm putting together. It's a Fujimi 1/48 scale and contains a set of decals for 5 aircraft, one of which is a "Black 13" but not "Pips" Priller's, since it has a red rudder and lower engine panel, and a white (JG2?) fuselage band. It has the common eagle motif - including the head - along the fuselage.

The Matchbox kit contains the same markings, so I guess the aircraft must be well known, but I've spent 3 days trawling the net and can't find it.

Please can anyone identify this aircraft and pilot?

Sounds like you have the very OLD fujimi kit, don't do the rudder and lower cowl in red, yellow would be more accurate. I will check my old stuff and try to figure out the correct details....

Yes, I agree with Wayne.These areas should be yellow painted but not red.

Are these markings similar to the ones in the profile.?

Attachments

• Fw190A3_9JG2_Richthofen_1942.jpg
    Fw190A3_9JG2_Richthofen_1942.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 327
Ok, I found the original painting sheet for the Fujimi Kit.....here ya go!

Sorry it is a bit bigger than I wanted but you can at least see all the details.

Now that I have found it, I can tell you that it is in error big time.

The aircraft that it is trying to depict is the Fw190A-8/R2 of Werner Gerth of IV (Sturm)/ JG 3.

Refer eaglecal decal sheet attached, from Eagle editions for more accurate markings and detail.

Their are a couple of photo's around of Black 13 will look them up , unless someone else gets to it first.....Erich or Wurger?

Attachments

• Fujimi_Fw190Aa.JPG
    Fujimi_Fw190Aa.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 892
  • EC99_Insta.jpg
    EC99_Insta.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 300
Here you are the B&W pic of the Wurger.

BTW the machine is also assigned to Major Walter Dahl (JG3) in 1944

Source unknown.

Attachments

• tankmagblack13.jpg
    tankmagblack13.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 290
Wurger/Wayne,

"Are these markings similar to the ones in the profile.?" - Similar, but not exactly the same. Who flew the aircraft you show in your picture?

"The aircraft that it is trying to depict is the Fw190A-8/R2 of Werner Gerth of IV (Sturm)/ JG 3." - this looks like a pretty close match. Given the difficulties of decyphering colours from B&W photos, I can see how the manufacturers can get it wrong.

Many thanks to you both for your efforts. A bit of work with the airbrush will sort this, and next time I'll do my research before blindly following the instructions in the box!

Well, this kit has been around a very long time, and back in them dark ages the colour and marking thinking was very different to what is known now.
For example the Eagle head is for JG 2 while the white band represents JG 3!
The primary Identification colours on the rudder and cowl to my knowledge have never been Red, always Yellow.

Follow the EagleCal details and you will be ok...also type Werner Gerth on the net and you will find some info...try this for size!:)

Focke Wulf FW 190 pilots of the Sturmgruppen

Hallo Mate,

It is nothing wrong to fallow the instruction.It is for the purpose.Unfortunately there are occured some mistakes often,even now when human knowledge is better than 10 years ago for instance.

The uploaded profile by me showes an Fw190A-3 of 9./JG 2 Richthofen Werk Nr.2181 Cherbourg, France, 1942.I don't know pilot's name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back