FW-190 - How Good Was It, Really?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I see your points Greg and they are well taken but in general doesn't wing loading have an effect on stall speed? Let's say you normally fly your FW-190A-8 in a "clean" configuration but you suddenly get orders and are tasked to carry a 500KG bomb on your centerline mount. Wouldn't that raise the stall speed of the machine? I'm just thinking basic physics here, but maybe I'm missing something with how the shape of the airfoil and it's loading effects when an aircraft enters a stall. I was also under the assumption that with any given airfoil shape more wing area = more lift = lower stall speed (weight of the machine being unchanged). Am I out in left field on this one too????
The stall speed is when the wing stops producing enough lift to keep the aircraft in the air. The analysis linked was done on the Spitfire MkIX which could out turn the Fw190, however this had identical wings to the MkV which was lighter and could only out turn the Fw 190 in instantaneous not sustained turn. The more powerful engine of the Mk IX made it not only faster and better climbing but it also turned better too because a turning aircraft has a massive increase in drag. The P 51 also stalled fairly harshly in heavy turns but was helped by using a few degrees of flap.

Going through all the writings about the FW190, I think it's fair to say it was, overall, a better aircraft than the Bf109, and possibly the best fighter in Europe during its first year or so of operation. Then the Allies starting getting better aircraft into service, and the FW190 was in that cloud of "sometimes better, sometimes not, maybe better on Tuesday, but not Thursday" cloud of fighters. The problem is that any "best fighter" question cannot be answered, as its confused by difficult to measure qualities, many of which are outside the realm of engineering. One rather obvious one is pilot quality, and it's widely held that German pilot quality decreased during the war, while that of Allies did not. Another is build quality, and the slave labor used by most, if not all, of the German defense contractors had strong incentive to perform subtle (mis-drilling rivet holes) and not so subtle (urinating in V-2 guidance modules) acts of sabotage. A third is fuel quality and availability.

My primary point is that at the end of the war, with two evenly matched pilots, one-on-one, the FW190 in its various incarnations, would not dominate vs a late-mark Spitfire, a P-51D, a P-47, a Typhoon, Tempest, Corsair, or Hellcat, that is the FW190 would fall somewhere in that range, but no one would make money betting on the outcomes. Those same Allied aircraft, with adequate logistical support, pilots of better average quality, and numerical advantage would make the putative superiority of individual aircraft somewhat moot. In 1940, the Luftwaffe had tactical and operational advantages that made comparisons of aircraft quality moot; in 1944, the Allies had tactical and operational advantages that made comparisons of aircraft quality moot.

Read somewhere that a late model Spit (XIV?) and a 190D had a mock combat and the Fw won.

That particular airplane will start, but cannot fly because some carburetor parts are missing and only the engine idle circuit is working. It starts up about half the times they try it. If they had a complete carburetor for the Jumo 213, it could fly. Perhaps they are looking and will find one sometime. It is a beautiful airplane up close.

Regarding the Ta 152H, it SHOULD have been somewhat of a pig down low due to the long wings when compared with the shorter-winged versions, but contemporary flight reports say otherwise. They say it retained good roll even with the long wings. To me, that is very interesting as most long-wing planes are not good rollers.

Here it is:

yellow13.jpg

Altogether a beautiful plane. Seems a real shame it can't fly occasionally. But, that is just my opinion. Many would not fly it even if they could. The two schools of thought aren't likely to get together anytime soon.

That particular airplane will start, but cannot fly because some carburetor parts are missing and only the engine idle circuit is working. It starts up about half the times they try it. If they had a complete carburetor for the Jumo 213, it could fly. Perhaps they are looking and will find one sometime. It is a beautiful airplane up close.

Regarding the Ta 152H, it SHOULD have been somewhat of a pig down low due to the long wings when compared with the shorter-winged versions, but contemporary flight reports say otherwise. They say it retained good roll even with the long wings. To me, that is very interesting as most long-wing planes are not good rollers.

Here it is:

View attachment 478723

Altogether a beautiful plane. Seems a real shame it can't fly occasionally. But, that is just my opinion. Many would not fly it even if they could. The two schools of thought aren't likely to get together anytime soon.

If this aircraft is really a D-13 then it s engine is a jumo 213 F. That means absolutely unique piece of history.It would be a terrible risque flying such a unique aircraft. The D13 and the Ta 152H were the absolutely best ww2 axis fighters in production.
The D13 if properly built and with c3 fuel, was not very far behind the latest western fighters despite it s terrible wing. I believe it was a d13 that was tested against a Tempest and defended itself decently. But it appears that the german pilot was an extremely experienced ace, CO of JG53. so we can not make conclusions , the Dora was also without ammo and reduced fuel so less weight than normal

p.s. Carburetor parts? I thought jumo 213 used injection

p.s. Carburetor parts? I thought jumo 213 used injection

There is/was no carb on the Jumo 213.

OK, it is missing some injection parts then. Either way, the idle circuit works and the rest doesn't. It have heard it start and idle and the sound is different from what I normally hear, but very good. That's part of hearing it run; the sounds of German hardware are different from the sounds of Allied hardware. Japanese planes are mostly radial and a 14/18-cylinder sounds like a 14/18-cylinder, not matter who makes it, unless they do funny things with the exhaust stubs.

Dedalos, we'll have to disagree about flying; we've probably done so before. If it were mine, I'd fly it. I belong to a museum that flies WWII aircraft; it's part of the mission of the museum to display them in the air for all to see. Since I/we don't own that one, maybe it won't fly, but don't bet on it. Paul Allen flies his planes mostly and, if it can be restored, it will likely fly.

There are two schools of thought. I say that if you own it, do as you see fit; otherwise enjoy what is out there doing whatever it does, sit static or out flying. But don't even try to tell me I can't fly it if I own it. Fortunately, we CAN fly ours.

I mostly don't bother with static museums unless I really want to see some particular aircraft. If it isn't flyable, then pictures will do just fine. If it flies, I want to be there when it does. Most museums don't fly, so it's only when we manage to rescue a plane from static display that we can commit aviation with it. Otherwise, they just look pretty, sitting there waiting to fly.

I'm glad we can both have it our own way whenever we want to. We should both be happy.

Cheers.

Does anyone have any information on the weight of armour fitted to the FW 190, Wiki states that the Typhoon was fitted with 370Kgs under the pilot and around engine and radiator.

Does anyone have any information on the weight of armour fitted to the FW 190, Wiki states that the Typhoon was fitted with 370Kgs under the pilot and around engine and radiator.

Report, in German, pdf: here (pg. 5 specifies armor)
Translation of the table ('Attack fighter' is the anti-bomber armored fighter, many times the cowl guns were deleted form those) :

190armor.jpg

I have seen in print that there is a 5 mm plate around the oil radiator in the cowl, 3 mm plate in the aft cowl, 2 1/4 inch thick bulletproof glass in the windscreen, and an 8 mm armor plate behind the pilot, with a 14 mm plate behind the pilot's head.

... but no definite weight.

I DO have the weight of all guns and weapons (Nowarra), but that isn't armor weight.

A quote from a 1942 article:

"
Performance range of the 190 is limited, its most effective altitudes being above 15,000 ft and below 25,000 ft. Its top speed at 4,500 ft, for example, is but 326 mph compared with 375 at 18,000 ft. It can, however, do 390 mph at 20,000 ft for one minute by means of a booster. Reports from American bomber crews indicate the Focke-Wulf does not perform well near its reported service ceiling of 37,000 ft. British fighters are understood to be able to turn inside the 190, even at its most effective altitudes.

Specifications and performance data are as follows:

Wing span … 34 ft 5 in
Length … 29 ft 4 in
Wing area … 203 sq ft
Wing loading … 42.2 lb/sq ft
Power loading … 5.3 lb/hp
Gross weight … 8,580 lb
Weight empty … 6,240 lb
Maximum speed (18,000 ft) … 375 mph
Landing speed … 110 mph

This article was originally published in the October, 1942, issue of Aviation magazine, vol 41, no 10, pp 233, 306, 308.
This article is included in the Fw-190 PDF. It includes 2 photos and 2 detail drawings, and the data table above.
Photos credited to International News.
"

I have no comment on the quote above because during wartime, what are they going to say? "O shit, it's an Fw 190? We're in trouble!"

I don't think so!

Cheers.

I might have guessed Tomo would have it right away ... :)

This thread is everything I was hoping for and much, much more. I appreciate all the input so far and although I've been checking in periodically, I haven't yet had a change to look at the links provided, nor draw any conclusions of my own about the machine, but that will come eventually.

Greg: that Dora is definitely a beautiful aircraft, even when just going by the picture you've posted. I'm sure it's an unbelievable sight when you're up close and personal.....:cool:

Interesting points, dedalos. I will have to consider them. While I disagree it was a target in 1944 and later, you do make some points.

The Ta 152 series showed very good performance, despite any extra armor or armament, but there were never very many of them. Most Allied pilots considered the Fw 190D to be the best German fighter of the war. Tough to argue with them this many years later, at least with any authority. Maybe most of the good German pilots flew them after they came out, but the Fw 190D DID get the attention of the Allies and we DID tend to skip over the Ta 152 airfield guards for the jet airfields. The combination of the Ta 152s and the flak made hunting jets in the landing pattern a dicey affair, assuming decent Ta 152 pilots and veteran flak gunners.

Cheers.

Greg - I would take slight exception to remark that Allies 'tended to skip over Me 262 based airfields protected by TA 152 (or FW 190D)" simply because ANY fighter was immediately attacked. At that stage of the war I suspect that All German aircraft were considered targets

The long-wing Ta 152H had very good span loading for a fighter. Span loading is a good general indicator of high-altitude maneuverability, and also indicates the amount of vortex generation as the aircraft moves through the air. Lower span loading generates less vortex, losing less energy.

It is somewhat related to wing loading, but wing loading alone does not indicate maneuverability directly. But since the fighter designers were trying to optimize for mostly the same things, it is a very good indicator. Lower span loading indicates generally better high-altitude maneuverability, but not in all cases. There ARE a few where it fails to help as an indicator.

I don't think the long-wing Ta 152 was one of those. It SHOULD have been a VERY good plane way up high, despite not really being used there.
Greg - I agree with the general comments as 'span loading' is largely tied to Aspect Ratio which as you know is a major component of Induced Drag.

The key factors for Climb and Turn remain W/L and Power Available over Power Required.

I see the words "small wing" used in here and want some clarification. The issue is wing loading, or normal gross weight divided by wing area. The ratio of the numbers doesn't change whether metric or English, so:

The Spitfire V had a normal gross weight of 6,784 lbs and a wing area of 242.0 sq ft, for a wing loading of 28.0 lbs/ sq ft.

The Fw 190 A3 had a normal gross weight of 8,530 lbs and a wing area of 197 sq ft, for a wing loading of 43.6 lbs/ sq ft.

While the Fw 190 A might SEEM like it has a high wing loading, the opposite is true; the Spitfire V has a very LOW wing loading. For comparison, the Bf 109E-3 had a wing loading of 31.7 and the Bf 109G-6 has a wing loading of 39.9 lbs/sq ft., so the 109G wasn't very far from the Fw 190. The P-51D had a wing loading of 39.5 lbs.sq ft., and the P-47D has a wing loading of 48.3 lbs/sq ft. The Fw 190 A3 falls right in the middle, and the P-47D did NOT have bad stall characteristics at all. The P-38J had a wing loading of 65.8 lbs/sq ft and turned very well, better than some single-engine fighters, if you believe the reports from combat pilots. It ALSO stalled quite benignly.

I see nothing strange about the wing loading of the Fw 190 series at all.

The stall-without-warning is another story entirely. THAT could easily have been changed. Most of the aerodynamic decisions regarding the Fw 190 were spot-on and correct, and I think that the wing could have been slightly larger, but it would not have materially changed the flight characteristics unless the stall warning were to be addressed. If so, the aircraft would have telegraphed an impending stall, allowing pilots to pull hard more consistently close to the limits in a safer manner.

Can't have everything, I suppose, and will always regard the Fw 190 as a VERY GOOD fighter for the time.

The P-51D Gross Weight with full internal fuel load out (incl 85 gallons of fuse tank) is 10,200 pounds ----> Wing Area 233 sq ft ----> W/L nearly 44#/sq ft

When the FW 190 and P-51D meet in combat over target, the 51D may have burned 60 gallons of internal fuel for take off and climb out to trim the ship for stable CG.. so drop external tanks and enter combat with 10,200-360 = 9840#GW -------> W/L = 42.2. Similarly the FW 190A has burned a fair amt of internal fuel. They should both be entering combat with about the same W/L, and same HP available vs HP Required with the nod going to P-51D because of lower drag.

At altitudes below 20,000 feet the FW 190A6/7 with good pilot is a real handful - as attested by Many 8th AF pilots.

IIRC - curiously the FW 190 did not have wash out the last 20% of 1/2 Span - a source of heated debate between me and Soren back in the day. Lednicer has the data in his WWII Fighter Comparison Report that I uploaded so many eons ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back