FW 190D-9 question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobbysocks

Chief Master Sergeant
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania
i have been reading a book "written" by a german ace and head of the Green Hearts. according to him professor tank met with several pilots at his base shortly after they began receiving D-9s. during the conversation tank reportedly said that the D-9 wasnt really a planned version. they came up with it because other projects requiring the jumo 213 engine had been scrapped and so there was a bunch laying around so they hurried a FW design to accommodate these engines... and thus the Dora was born. i havent looked to far into the history of the FW but none of the stuff i have read suggests what this author stated. there are a couple things he has stated that raised my eyebrows and one account i know for a fact he has wrong....but i am trying to keep an open mind....so was the dora 9 created under and because of these circumstances???

The D-9 was a stop gap,introduced prior to the Ta 152,that mu. This is made clear in Focke-Wulf documantation. I've not heard Tank's engine story before,his memory wasn't always perfect.
Cheers
Steve

what projects were cancelled? what other ac was that jumo slated for? did they stop rpoduction of TE fighters and bombes?

as for tanks story....that was what he told the author back in 44 when the dora had just been placed in the squadrons.

Last edited:
The bomber program was stopped. So the engines were readily available and with slight modification ( blower, gear and prop) usable for high altitude fighters. The D9 was a stopgap on request from the RLM

But the D-9 was in development from medium/late 1943 when bomber production was just slightly reduced and not almost completely stopped in autumn 1944.

No but the raw materials were already allocated and production was more then adequate , and so a logical choice. Besides that it was the only in mass production engine (that had potential at altitude) that was more or less available because it was not in a fighter which were becoming ever more important in de german defence plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back