Fw 190D tanks (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spicmart

Staff Sergeant
May 11, 2008
I once saw cut-away illustration of an Fw 190D-9 in a book by Marian Kryzan which shows it having internal fuel tanks in the outer wings just like the Ta 152.
It sure must have had a shortened wing spar to accommodate the tanks, right? In the illustration it did not become clear.
I have never seen this before and since.
Anybody no more?

And was it planned/possible to install a GM-1 tank in the Dora airframe?

I once saw cut-away illustration of an Fw 190D-9 in a book by Marian Kryzan which shows it having internal fuel tanks in the outer wings just like the Ta 152.
It sure must have had a shortened wing spar to accommodate the tanks, right? In the illustration it did not become clear.
I have never seen this before and since.
Anybody no more?

Wing tanks were between the spars. The Ta-152C and H were supposed to use non protected 'bag tanks' in the wings, max 3 per side; the D12/R5 and D-13/R-5 were planned to have 2x2 bag tanks per aircraft.
Illustrations can be seen at Rodeike's book about the 190/152s (pg. 405 for the D12 and D13 with wing tanks).

And was it planned/possible to install a GM-1 tank in the Dora airframe?

The table quoted above is something of a roadmap, extending until December of 1945. It does not mention the GM-1, so we can safely assume that there was no such plan. Probably the expected Ta-152H was expected to fill the extremely high altitude fighter role?
As about was it possible - probably yes, the D-9 fuselage between the firewall and tail extension was same as on the 190A, that was tested with GM-1.

Thanks, Tomo.

Do you know about the stability of wing with the shortened front main spar? The several lateral thin spars which extend to the wing tip and practically replaced the main spar, were they just as rigid or was there a reduction in stability the designers were willing to accept?

Attachments

• Screenshot (240).png
    Screenshot (240).png
    147.8 KB · Views: 53
The (shortened?) steel wing spar was 250 kg heavier compared to the duralumin one which was quite a weight penalty given the heft of the Ta 152 (Doras?)
and their high wing loadings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back