Fw 190D wing with tanks? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spicmart

Staff Sergeant
May 11, 2008
Here is a depiction of a Fw 190D with shortened spar to accommodate MW50 and fuel tanks in the wings. I wonder if it had been mentioned anywhere else.
Anyone know more?
Artwork by Jaroslaw Wrobel from "Fw 190D, Ta 152" by Marian Krzyzan.
1654261059074.png

Spar was not shortened. MW 50 tank was supposed to be installed behind the pilot on the Fw 190D. Wing fuel tanks (4 bags total) were supposed to be installed on the D12/R5 and D13/R5.
Ta 152H-1 and on were supposed to have the GM-1 tank behind the pilot, 5 fuel bags in the wings, and one MW 50 bag tank in the wing. Ta-152C was supposed to have MW 50 tank behind the pilot, and 6 fuel bag tanks in the wings.

Yes, too many 'were supposed to' - ww2 was ending too fast for the late-war German hardware.

I just read that and that lateral "stringers" were to take the load which is normally on the spars. Whatever that means..,? And if such a measure was just as solid..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spar was not shortened. MW 50 tank was supposed to be installed behind the pilot on the Fw 190D. Wing fuel tanks (4 bags total) were supposed to be installed on the D12/R5 and D13/R5.
Ta 152H-1 and on were supposed to have the GM-1 tank behind the pilot, 5 fuel bags in the wings, and one MW 50 bag tank in the wing. Ta-152C was supposed to have MW 50 tank behind the pilot, and 6 fuel bag tanks in the wings.

Yes, too many 'were supposed to' - ww2 was ending too fast for the late-war German hardware.
Can you tell where is it stated that the equipment kit R5 equipment kit is the one with the wing tanks? I've never read that anywhere. Actually most people haven't.

I just read that and that lateral "stringers" were to take the load which is normally on the spars. Whatever that means..,? And if such a measure was just as solid..?

Lateral sringers were already on the wing of the Fw 190s from the day one, at least when it is about the 'normal' wing (ie. not about the small wing as one the 1st prototypes). Can be seen here, for example. Or here ( the 'imperfect z' or 's' profiles are the lateral stringers):

190stringer.jpg

Can you tell where is it stated that the equipment kit R5 equipment kit is the one with the wing tanks? I've never read that anywhere. Actually most people haven't.

Most people are not on this forum to begin with ;)
My source is the 'Fw 190A - Fw 190D Dora - Ta 152' book by Rodeike, pg. 405.

Lateral sringers were already on the wing of the Fw 190s from the day one, at least when it is about the 'normal' wing (ie. not about the small wing as one the 1st prototypes). Can be seen here, for example. Or here ( the 'imperfect z' or 's' profiles are the lateral stringers):

View attachment 672200

Most people are not on this forum to begin with ;)
My source is the 'Fw 190A - Fw 190D Dora - Ta 152' book by Rodeike, pg. 405.
Thank you! Not even the people on flugzeugforum.de, the premier German aviation site seem to know about it.
I hope you don't mind when I post this information on another forum/group.

Design anlysis of the Fw 190 download: link
(this is back from ww2; document was transfered into a pdf by the people from the, now unfortunately defunct, 'Legends in their own time' website)
Also the cutaway.

tomo pauk tomo pauk . As you arguably know quite a bit, do you happen to know if it was ever planned to install boosted ailerons into the late Focke Wulf fighters?

tomo pauk tomo pauk . As you arguably know quite a bit, do you happen to know if it was ever planned to install boosted ailerons into the late Focke Wulf fighters?

The German-language Wikipedia has the 190D-13 as the one with hydraulic-boosted controls, that were supposedly planned also for the Ta-152:
Darüber hinaus wurde in der D-13 ein hydraulisches System zur Unterstützung der Ruder eingeführt, das später auch in der Ta 152 verbaut werden sollte.

One late-marque 190D is in a museum in the USA, perhaps sending them an e-mail might be worth it?

The German-language Wikipedia has the 190D-13 as the one with hydraulic-boosted controls, that were supposedly planned also for the Ta-152:
Darüber hinaus wurde in der D-13 ein hydraulisches System zur Unterstützung der Ruder eingeführt, das später auch in der Ta 152 verbaut werden sollte.

One late-marque 190D is in a museum in the USA, perhaps sending them an e-mail might be worth it?
Thanks for the info. I just recall that someone mentioned that the hydraulic system related to the undercarriage retracting mechanism where the electric system had been replaced by hydraulics. So that might be it but then again it was possible to install boosted ailerons in any fighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back