Galland Biography

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bdefen

Senior Airman
Nov 26, 2019
Boise, Idaho USA
Re-reading this book now. Much more relevant to me since my joining this site. I'm just getting to the Winter 1940 part.
It's a great account, including recollection of interactions with fellow pilots, Hitler, Goering, etc. Quite a guy.
P3250002.JPG

Re-reading this book now. Much more relevant to me since my joining this site. I'm just getting to the Winter 1940 part.
It's a great account, including recollection
of interactions with fellow pilots, Hitler, Goering, etc. Quite a guy.View attachment 617266
I'm thoroughly enjoying this book. Picked up this kit on ebay to build Galland's BofB-period Bf-109E.
P4130002.JPG
The book mentions and includes some photos of Galland's experimental telescopic gunsight, as shown on the box. Although he is widely associated with using that gunsight (along with his in-cockpit electric cigar lighter), he only used the telescopic gunsight for a short while, reverting then to the standard (Revi?) gunsight.
The box shows a 1988 copyright date, and the included decals have yellowed a bit. Looking forward to the build.

Last edited:
That old Hasegawa kit needs some work to get it right, mainly the cockpit arrangement, and the radiator baths. It was originally a "Frog" moulding, dating from the late 1960's / early 1970's, great for that era, but basic and a bit inaccurate by today's standards.
BTW, apparently the telescope was used to identify aircraft at a distance, and the normal Revi sight was used for actual gunnery, due to damage to one eye ( can't remember which ) sustained by Galland during the Spanish Civil War.
Somewhere here on the forum, some years ago, I posted a comparison between the Hasegawa and Matchbox '109 kits, illustrating the defects of the Hasegawa version.
All that aside though, even straight from the box, it can be built into a very reasonable model, and i look forward to seeing how you get on with it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back