Gavin Lyall's Aviation Thrillers?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

HoHun

Tech Sergeant
Oct 15, 2006
Hi everyone,

In a wild flash of cross-association triggered reading the current "Favourite Roundel" thread, I suddenly remembered Gavin Lyall's aviation thriller "Shooting Script", which I read years ago, liking it really well.

Perhaps you have read this book or some other of his aviation thrillers? Then I'd be interested in your opinion (or recommendations)!

According to the English Wikipedia article, his aviation-related work comprises of "The Wrong Side Of The Sky", "The Most Dangerous Game", "Shooting Script", and "Judas Country".

I liked "Shooting Script" for its mix of credible characters, surprising ideas, realistic detail and laconic humour.

Is Gavin Lyall a well-known author in Britian? The Wikipedia compares him to Ian Fleming in one sentence (at Lyall's peak in his career), and he was actually translated to German, so I think it's safe to assume he was not just some obscure figure - but has anyone here ever heard of him?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Never heard of him, although one or two of the titles have stirred some of the dust in my braincell. One in particular, "The Most Dangerous Game", bears the same title as a short-story I read YEARS ago, about a guy who falls (?) off a boat, gets washed up on an island, and becomes the target of some crazy rich guy's desire to "hunt the most dangerous game on earth...mankind". Wish I could find that one again, it was rather well-written. I'll have to keep an eye out for Gavin Lyall's stuff, though. They sound interesting, from what I saw on Wiki.

Hi, Henning. Gavin Lyall is, or certainly was, a top-selling author in the U.K. I've read a few of his books, although I can't remember which ones! I think one of his was "Night over Water", set on a Pan Am Clipper flying boat, which was very good. I may have one or two of his books stashed somewhere still; if I have, I'll let you know.
Terry.

Aviation thrillers? Is that like a murder mystery or lost over water or what? I don't know the genre.

Hi Timshatz. you're more or less right. In Lyall's case, the plots can be different, but they are generally centred around an aviation subject. IIRC, 'Night over Water' was a bit like an airborne version of one of Agatha Christie's novels; 'Death on the Nile', or 'Murder on the Orient Express'. It involved, I think, a murder, a spy or espionage agent, and was set during a trans-Atlantic crossing on a Boeing Clipper. Others have involved military aircraft, modern jet fighter squadrons etc. Quite good reads, normally.
Terry.

Hi Airframes,

>IIRC, 'Night over Water' was a bit like an airborne version of one of Agatha Christie's novels

Hm, wasn't that a Ken Follett title? I had a peek at it and couldn't stand it, which also sums up my opinion of Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" ... that one established his books firmly in my "hot chestnut" category - to be dropped immediately if picked up by accident.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Henning, you are right! I got slightly mixed up with my authors! Agree with what you say too; I've recently read one of Follet's latest novels. My thoughts were 'If he can get this published, and realise sales, then my novel, just completed, should reach the market!'
Cheers,
Terry.

Hi Terry,

>My thoughts were 'If he can get this published, and realise sales, then my novel, just completed, should reach the market!'

Hehe, so at least Follett can serve as useful benchmark! :) I wish you success with your novel ... I just read about GRR Martin's early attempts at having his stuff published, and he vividly described how luck and circumstances sometimes helped him, sometimes hindered him, with no pattern he could discern except that he persevered with his efforts :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Thanks for your good wishes, Henning! It's true what they say about trying to get published, especially in the U.K.! I've been 'persevering' for about nine months now, with some success (more later), but it's the average 3 month wait to receive a rejection slip that's really frustrating, knowing that the agent hasn't even looked at the manuscript (which they still want in hard copy, double spaced, single sided)! The 'success' mentioned was from a relatively small, independant publisher, who thought the work was truly excellent, and should be successful. However, they weren't the right company to 'push' the work, so I've managed to get on a new scheme with a mainstream publisher, under their 'New Writing' package, all done by e-mail. At last, someone who has just about reached the 20th Century, if 8 years late! I hope to hear from them by the end of December; if not, it's another rejection!
Just have to wait and see and, meanwhile, carry on writing the sequel!
Obviously, I'll let you, and everyone else, know if I succeed this time!
Regards,
Terry.

Dang....GRR Martin was rejected???? He's frikkin awesome!!!!!! Best wishes to you, Airframes, and remember....NOBODY can be as bad as Ken Follett! (I made myself finish that stupid "Night over Water" book, since I'd paid for it at a used bookstore...then promptly turned around and sold it back to them)

Ooops! Sorry about my confusion with the authors! I think I was remembering another book plus a recent factual account of a Brit following the routes of the old flying boats around the world, which WAS good! Got the two confused, and grabbed at a title from memory!
Now I remember why I remembered it, because it was c**p!
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back