GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's the PDF I was talking about earlier, its Pt 1 to go with Pt 2 that Steph posted
Just now have been able to get to this. Some really interesting information. I guess it comes down to who does one believe regarding the marking and details, especially for my P9495 (DWOK)? I'm not sure if I'll spend the time measuring the Tamiya decals (scale size) and comparing to the the reported sizes in the article. Even if they do not match, size wise, I'll not be buying any 'accurate' ones anyway. Many thanks for the upload. One favorite part was the mention of the squadron upgrading the lower colors to the Sky1 color, that and the stencils were most likely over sprayed and not replaced. I'll latch on to that so that I don't have to fiddle with all those 'tiny' decals!!

Almost through to the end of page 4 of the instructions! Who would have thought there was so much detail and paint/glue drying times?

The cockpit area is paint detailed. Still left is the final cockpit assembly. And then the joining of the fuselage halves. Looking at the details that is in this, I'm somewhat pleased with the product but at the same time disappointed on how much will be unseen when finally assembled!

Mk.I cockpit.jpg
Mk.I IP.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent Ralph :thumbleft::thumbright:
Just one thing, if I'm not mistaken, the cockpit should be overall RAF interior green. I think the rear part of it was left unpainted or alu from mid 1943 :)
I'm probably not as 'rabid' as many when doing research (I do do some, but probably not enough), I was following the directions as called out in the Tamiya instructions. The color that they call for is AS-12 (bare metal) and the closest I have in my paint stash is Vallejo metal dull aluminum. Looked close enough to bare metal for me. As for if it was totally painted for this particular one (P9495), again I'll defer to Tamiya research and my own laziness.

I guess it comes down to who does one believe regarding the marking and details, especially for my P9495 (DWOK)? I'm not sure if I'll spend the time measuring the Tamiya decals (scale size) and comparing to the the reported sizes in the article. Even if they do not match, size wise, I'll not be buying any 'accurate' ones anyway.
Therein lies the reason i do have custom decals printed. I see no reason why, if they are doing a specific A/C, the decals cant be accurate as well. The "look" is so different. For $50AU I can have 4 or 5 different planes printed. Numbers, nose art and serials. It becomes doable and worth doing to me.

Therein lies the reason i do have custom decals printed. I see no reason why, if they are doing a specific A/C, the decals cant be accurate as well. The "look" is so different. For $50AU I can have 4 or 5 different planes printed. Numbers, nose art and serials. It becomes doable and worth doing to me.
Something I should look into, although I'm not sure if I could provide the 'correct' decal info? When doing Eduard kits, many are mid $35 to high $45 (US) and come with, at best, a full plus a partial set of decals left over. This makes Eduard overtrees quite attractive (somewhere around $20) with a set of decals with multiple aircraft markings it makes kits (at least Eduard) more reasonable. But then you have a lot of very similar builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back