german engines at reno races

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mike siggins

Airman
Oct 29, 2009
norfolk va
did anyone ever race a german plane there with a german motor or has any one heard of building them up during the war or after

did anyone ever race a german plane there with a german motor or has any one heard of building them up during the war or after

I can not think of any raced. The only "German" planes at Reno have been the Ha-1112, which is hardly German and powered by a Merlin, and a new-build FW-190 powered by a R-2800. No German engines.

As far as building-up German engines, I assume you are asking about engines modified for higher output. I believe the Bf 109, He 100, and Me 209 all used built-up DB 601s for their respective 3 km record runs. DB was also working on a DB 603 supposedly good for 3000 hp for the Mercedes-Benz T80 Land Speed Record car in late 1939 / early 1940.

Raced German engines akin to those used in WW2 were only raced by the Germans AFAIK before WW2, as part of Mercedes developement process and for governmental propaganda purposes.
Working DB's thesedays are too rare, hence are even more expensive than allied WW2 engines, and also the lack of spares; what spares there are today, are mostly all from expensive limited runs of 'custom made' batches of only a few specifically needed componants.

The T80's aborted DB603 became the step-father of the to be developed DB605 I believe.

Incedently offtopic in a way...
The last WW2 era DB605 I believe that was installed in a 109 - possibly now in Black 6, was found hidden behind a false wall in a Cagiva/Castiglioni factory in Varese or Bologna, Norhtern Italy, in the early 1990's when they were extending the factory;prior too the time when the iconic Ducati 916 was launched.
I read this in the same 'Bike' UK magazine as the test review of Honda's NR750, then the Worlds only 'production' Oval Piston engined vehicle/motorcycle in '91/'92.
The NR750 was/is most expensive 'factory production' bike a over £36,500, of which most of which ended up as Japanese 'Race Marshall' bikes at Honda owned Suzuka the now abbandoned Montegi circuits - each bike was sold at a massive loss, although Honda has/will not state(d) by how much.

Last edited:
This is about the best one could hope to achieve in that era based on the technology available.

Attachments

• DB601R-V record.jpg
    DB601R-V record.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back