German vs. USA factories

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You bet I'm confused. How about repeating your post in grammatically correct English as it is non-sensical. Germany attempted to maintain bomber productioin until the last. What do you think the stoush between Milch and Kamhuber over the HE 219 was all about?

3 mistakes, its Kammhuber.
;)

Last edited:
You bet I'm confused. How about repeating your post in grammatically correct English as it is non-sensical. Germany attempted to maintain bomber productioin until the last. What do you think the stoush between Milch and Kamhuber over the HE 219 was all about?

How about repeating your post without being a snarky prick? It's not necessary to get your point across.

And before calling out someone else's grammar and English, you might want to check your own.

Last edited:
Clear enough. Showing a couple of photos doesn't convey anything useful. They don't reveal dispersal of production, material shortages, labour shortages, etc, etc. None of these things were foreseen at the commencement of hostilities where things were completely different. Try writing a history thesis on the basis of two photographs and see if you get your PhD - good luck!!
Not really that "clear enough" actually. You're familiar with a phrase that goes something along the lines of "a picture is worth a thousand words". Showing a couple of photos that illustrate the disparity between the U.S. and Germany make it quite clear the Axis was in trouble in the battle of the production floors.

Why do you think things like "dispersal of production, material shortages, labour shortages, etc, etc." were not foreseen before the war? Were there no other wars before 1939? I'm pretty sure the U.S, Great Britain, Germany, France et. al. had faced down a similar situation 25 years earlier, unless I've totally misunderstood what happened between 1914 and 1918.

Germany's hash (and Imperial Japan's) was settled after December 7, 1941, no other county was going to out produce the United States, those sets of pictures illustrate that pretty well.

Why do you think things like "dispersal of production, material shortages, labour shortages, etc, etc." were not foreseen before the war? Were there no other wars before 1939? I'm pretty sure the U.S, Great Britain, Germany, France et. al. had faced down a similar situation 25 years earlier, unless I've totally misunderstood what happened between 1914 and 1918.

During WW1 the F.D. Roosevelt was the assistant secretary of the US Navy, W.S. Churchill was minister of wartime production (among other things) while A. Hitler was a corporal in the trenches. The UK matched or out produced Germany in most things, Russia matched or out produced Germany in most things and the USA pretty much outproduced the lot combined.

When discussing mass production of aircraft the focus is on the aircraft airframe, but an aircraft isn't just an airframe. The B-24 had one perspex nose cone, but it had 4 engines, 12 propellers and 56 cylinders/pistons con rods etc. 18,500 B-24s require 74,000 Engines and Turbos, 222,000 prop blades and 1,036,000 cylinders, this is where mass production works. Across the whole aviation industry every aircraft requires a lot of the same things, like altimeters, air speed indicators, pumps generators etc. There more you make of them the cheaper it is to make

I don't know much about war production in WW1, but in 1914 Germany produced 25% more steel than the whole of the British Empire combined. And Russia was dependent on German shipyards for machinery and specialized castings, which meant that a lot of Russian warships remained incomplete for lack of vital parts.

The Germans lost the war on Dec 11th 1941.
World War Two is described as an event, but wars are between nations and groups. Hitler rarely troubled himself with a declaration of war he left that to others in most cases. This may seem like a bit of "semantics" maybe it is, but also maybe it isn't. Hitler only looked at campaigns which he would win, not long drawn out battles with anyone and everyone that he would lose. On Sept 1s 1939 Hitler was better prepared than anyone for his campaign in Poland, but he was already behind the UK and USA in preparations for the war that everyone knew was coming. By the time he attacked Russia he was already behind Russia in preparations for war, when he didn't take Moscow at the first attempt the campaign was over and a war he was not prepared for happened.

When discussing mass production of aircraft the focus is on the aircraft airframe, but an aircraft isn't just an airframe. The B-24 had one perspex nose cone, but it had 4 engines, 12 propellers and 56 cylinders/pistons con rods etc. 18,500 B-24s require 74,000 Engines and Turbos, 222,000 prop blades and 1,036,000 cylinders, this is where mass production works. Across the whole aviation industry every aircraft requires a lot of the same things, like altimeters, air speed indicators, pumps generators etc. There more you make of them the cheaper it is to make

Now add 20% spares and you get the basic picture.

Auto processes do not directly transfer to aircraft production but, as Don Berlin at Curtiss and others wrote in the SAE Journal at the time, the auto industry had plenty to teach the aviation industry
1608867740780.png

https://www.jstor.org/stable/44438844
https://www.jstor.org/stable/44439184
https://www.jstor.org/stable/44468160

Not really that "clear enough" actually. You're familiar with a phrase that goes something along the lines of "a picture is worth a thousand words". Showing a couple of photos that illustrate the disparity between the U.S. and Germany make it quite clear the Axis was in trouble in the battle of the production floors.

Germany's hash (and Imperial Japan's) was settled after December 7, 1941, no other county was going to out produce the United States, those sets of pictures illustrate that pretty well.
Here's a term that you're obviously not acquainted with: "BlitzKrieg"
The Germans never considered nor planned for a long war, hence dispersal, etc unnecessary.

Here's a term that you're obviously not acquainted with: "BlitzKrieg"
The Germans never considered nor planned for a long war, hence dispersal, etc unnecessary.
Germany's blitzkrieg used 2.74 million horses and mules, with an average of 1.1 million in service, this resulted in the LW flying in horse fodder to allow things to move near Leningrad (Demyansk) I think "Blitzkrieg" sometimes is lost in translation.

Germany's blitzkrieg used 2.74 million horses and mules, with an average of 1.1 million in service, this resulted in the LW flying in horse fodder to allow things to move near Leningrad (Demyansk) I think "Blitzkrieg" sometimes is lost in translation.
True, but the point is, is that the Nazi leadership postured the German economy and industry for BlitzKrieg going into war. Examples as you have presented illustrated the way things changed as the war progressed hence the reason for dismissing a mere two pictures as being an entire 'history' as they can only ever represent a single momentary snapshot in time over a much longer timeline.

"Lightning War" is merely a campaign (battle) tactic, not a plan for war.
Germany did not have a cohesive or defined strategy for all out war.

German factories were virtually on a peacetime model: single shifts, holidays and such until the situation became dire late in the war.

Either one is a poor way to start a world war.

Here's 2 terms for you;

1. Asshole
2. Banned

There will be no further warnings. Merry Christmas!
I beg your pardon? In all the years I've been on this forum (and others I belong to) I have NEVER referred to anyone as an "Asshole" nor any other expletive term.
Most post exchanges are fine but inevitably debates on some issues will become robust, that's life. Furthermore I'm not of the Christian faith so Christmas has no relevance to me or has this now become a required qualification?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back