German vs. USA factories

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I beg your pardon? In all the years I've been on this forum (and others I belong to) I have NEVER referred to anyone as an "Asshole" nor any other expletive term.
Most post exchanges are fine but inevitably debates on some issues will become robust, that's life. Furthermore I'm not of the Christian faith so Christmas has no relevance to me or has this now become a required qualification?
YOU'VE BEEN WARNED TWICE BY 2 DIFFERENT MODS TO KNOCK OFF THE RUDE REMARKS. I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE CHRISTIAN, MUSLIM OR AGNOSTIC. STOP BEING AN ASS OR YOUR'RE GONE! DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR!!!!

I beg your pardon? In all the years I've been on this forum (and others I belong to) I have NEVER referred to anyone as an "Asshole" nor any other expletive term.
Most post exchanges are fine but inevitably debates on some issues will become robust, that's life. Furthermore I'm not of the Christian faith so Christmas has no relevance to me or has this now become a required qualification?

You were told twice to knock it off with the snarkiness and condescending attitude. You ignored those posts, hence his somewhat harsh post to you. Just knock it off with the rude posts and you would be fine.

"Lightning War" is merely a campaign (battle) tactic, not a plan for war.
Germany did not have a cohesive or defined strategy for all out war.

German factories were virtually on a peacetime model: single shifts, holidays and such until the situation became dire late in the war.

Either one is a poor way to start a world war.
Agreed, you make my point that things transitioned, morphed and changed over time.

"Lightning War" is merely a campaign (battle) tactic, not a plan for war.
Germany did not have a cohesive or defined strategy for all out war.

German factories were virtually on a peacetime model: single shifts, holidays and such until the situation became dire late in the war.

Either one is a poor way to start a world war.
Goering and the LW went to great lengths to convince the world it was stronger than it actually was, presenting the same aircraft at different fields quickly painted with different markings etc. I am sure they congratulated themselves on their own ingenuity, but it worked too well, their future opponents started to re arm to confront a much bigger force than the Germans actually had. Most of the "stuff" shown on TV about blitzkrieg was made after any lightning war operations took place, like Panzer IV, Tiger I and Tiger II tanks and the tens of thousands of s/e fighters.

If no one has mentioned it. I would suggest reading Daniel Uziel's Arming the Luftwaffe. I will note that Uziel's reports that by 1944 or 45, only about 10% of the workers in German aviation plants were German. The rest were foreign workers and slave labor. The attempts to hide, disperse, or bomb proof aircraft production facilities were enormous. It is not an exciting book to read but it does provide insight into the problems facing the Germans when they could no longer counter the Allies bombing campaigns.

A significant part of the reason that Hitler and his cronies did not bring Germany to a war-footing earlier was in order to keep the stress of the war from the average person. The idea of this tactic was to maintained a willingness to continue fighting the war for as long as possible, a war that might otherwise have become unpopular quickly. By doing this any potential serious opposition could be delayed - possibly until it was clear that Germany was past PONR.

This is not isolated to Germany in WWII. Any nation that has fought a war and kept the actual reason(s) for the war, and the ongoing 'effects' of the war - from its own people - has engaged in the same tactic. For the US the Viet Nam war is a prime example. The failure on the part of the "Hawks" to maintain a disinformation campaign by censorship - a failure caused partly from not keeping the soldiers in the war zone as long as possible - contributed significantly to the spread of disenchantment among the US population. This - along with the 15 year duration of the war - allowed the anti-war movement to gain traction and eventually cause the retreat of the US from Viet Nam. There were other significant forms of successful and un-successful effects of the disinformation campaign, but I do not think they can readily be discussed here - partly due to the political nature of the actions taken, and partly due the the fact that there are still many Viet Nam veterans around.

Last edited:
I bet you're a blast at parties.

He may or may not be a blast at parties but on the net he knows that polite discussion and detailed reasoning, even if wrong, will always beat insults AND will usually result in equally civilized rebuttal or acceptance of the point being debated.

He may or may not be a blast at parties but on the net he knows that polite discussion and detailed reasoning, even if wrong, will always beat insults AND will usually result in equally civilized rebuttal or acceptance of the point being debated.
Thank-you MiTasol. If I were a drinker you can have a drink on me. Cheers!

The basic design was good but then the client wants all sorts of changes to meet different demands, this is what mass production hates
North American P-51 production didn't spend inordinate sums of money on tool dies methods, but used cheap, timber for example, so that modifications could be quickly and cheaply accommodated.

North American P-51 production didn't spend inordinate sums of money on tool dies methods, but used cheap, timber for example, so that modifications could be quickly and cheaply accommodated.

NAA were heavy users of casting materials for production dies. Yes they used wood (masonite) and micarta forming blocks as well but mass produced parts mainly used Kirksite and similar cast moulds that were easy to shape and modify and could be melted down and recycled as required. There were several other materials but I cannot remember them off the top of my head. One could be "melted" in hot water and reformed by returning to room temperature.

Concrete and plastics were also used in moulds for stretch presses and other items.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back