Get him out!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What the hell?

I'm not an expert in this type of equipment, but should he (the pilot) have "punched out" as soon as it went over?

And even then, why didn't the rescue crewman (from the helo) drop down to the aircraft to help with the canopy release and pilot extraction?

If you read further about the incident, it said the canopy jammed, and that enjection seat wouldn't shoot through a canopy. Ejection seats that could be used at zero airspeed and altitude weren't perfected at this time to that degree.
I've seen some ejection seats with a rail above them to break the canopy in case it jams, but evidently this early ejection seat wasn't like that.

With the canopy jammed, the rescueman from the helicopter couldn't do anything either, unless he had a axe.

Very probably Dave, or perhaps water pressure. I very vaguely remember seeing this on the weekly cinema news as a child at the time. It was very likely this accident that prompted the development, by Martin Baker, of seats able to function submerged, and accelerated development of 'zero-zero' seats. By the time the Sea Vixen entered service, I believe early versions of this type of seat were fitted.
As for the helicopter crew, they tried very hard, in dangerous conditions. The winchman should have had a medal for his efforts, as it would be him directing the pilot, and he must have had a difficult, and dangerous job, virtually standing on the sinking aircraft in that swell. Also, the pilot, flying a bit of a 'pig' o an early Westland Whilwind, did a tremendous job, at one point actually getting the wheels in the water, presumably to give the winchman a better chance of stability.
Juts shows how new broadcasting has changed though - such graphic footage would never normally be shown today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back