Greek Hurricane Mk.Ib in Egypt - 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tazman

Airman
Dec 5, 2011
Hello everybody!
I am a rookie here.
I would like you to tell me if the Italeri's new 1/48 Hurricane Mk.I is appropriate for a Greek Hurricane Mk.Ib.
I have found decals for an aircraft with Greek markings in Egypt but I don't know which kit to buy.
Is Italeri's ok for what I want?

Thank you in advance.
You have a nice forum. :wave:

Ok.... Do you mean the one coded with white FGoE don't you?

ML48148_5.jpg

greece_aircraft_hurricane_2.jpg

Last edited:
It's a Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB trop of 335 Squadron Royal Hellenic Air Force in 1942. The Hurricane was equipped with desert air filter Vokes.

profhurri.jpg

It's a Hurricane MkIIB, fitted with twelve .303 machine guns, and a Merlin XX engine. Serial number BD930 was one of a batch of 1,500 built in that production block.
There was no MkIB Hurricane.
The Italeri kit is a MkIA. By altering the wing gun access hatches, and adding the 2 outer mg in each wing, it could pass as a MkIIB, but would need the longer spinner and the Rotol propellor. Also, the MkII was longer in the nose than the MkI.
The only MkII kit available at present is the Hobbycraft series of kits, available in various packagings, but as far as i know, all the same basic kit.

Thanks a lot guys!
I must find a Mk.II then.
One more question: What is the difference between a Mk.IIb and a Mk.IIc?

Their armament and a cockpit armour. Mk.IIC was armed with 4x20mm Oerlikon cannons.

Last edited:
You have aready asked the question in the thread ...

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/model-kit-reviews/italeri-1-48-hurricane-mk-i-30661.html#post845867

Please go there and read my posts. Then please we can talk here. Also I would like to see the decal sheet. Is that possible you would post its image?

Maybe it's just me, but I was under the impression this link lead to my thread about the Italeri kit...the thread now seems to have disappeared....what happened?

Good morning!
I have a Greek book about Hellenic Air Force. It is entitled: Greek Airplanes from 1912 until today. The book was published in 1992, so the types of the planes are until '92.
On one of the pages it says about Hurricanes. It states that Mk.I were first delivered to 335 Sqdn with codes ''FG'' before the roundel in white colour and the distinctive letter of the aircraft was after the roundel, in Greek alphabet in some cases. So, I think that a Mk.I in 1/48 is right for a Greek Hurricane in Egypt, because one of them had the letters FGoΣ. Those letters are in the decals I found.
Maybe I will follow this solution.
I must thank everybody for your help!

The Squadron operated the Mk1, MkIIB and MkIIC before converting to Spitfires. However, the serial number on the decal sheet is for a MkIIB.
An example of one of their Mk1s, used between October 1941 and September 1942, is serial number Z4027, code FG-S.

Hi guys! More than a year has passed and I forgot to thank you all again for your help. I bought the Hurricane Mk.II from Hobbycraft
and a photoetched set for the cockpir, from Eduard.
It's gonna take me some time to have it built, but I will post some photos for you to see it.
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back