Grumman F6F Hellcat - too slow for Reno Racing?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hellcat=Lead sled with regard to Reno's Unlimited category. It's as slick as a brick. Wasn't designed around a speed requirement, though. It was faster than its PTO opponents but mid 300 mph range was all it could manage. Upping HP could squeeze a little more speed out of it but, let's face it, it isn't a slick machine by any stretch. The F8F is a lot cleaner with a much better Reynold's number. The F6F is way too bluff - barn door frontal area - to be competitively aerodynamic.

Sweb should be right about the aero comparisons from the standpoint of parasite drag - although I have not seen the numbers.

The P-47 and the F6F despite having a lot of power should not do well on the deck because of the drag penalty of a huge frontal area/flat plate drag in maximum density air.

Corsair/Tempest should be better but still not up to 51/F8F potential - particularly around the pylon where the 180 degree turn is going to bleed serious energy compared to 51/F8F.

I'm not completely sure, but I do know there were Wildcats without the folding wing. What I am not sure about is if the FM-2 was that way. I don't beleive there were any Hellcats without the wing fold, and that adds weight as well. If you compare Mustangs that race with stock warbirds, they are considerably different, and quite a bit lighter. I remember "Huntress III" also had the wings clipped to be a bit shorter.

The FM-2 was built with folding wings, and I think the one I pointed out does as well. The guy placed 5th, and as Flyboyj pointed out, he was probably just doing it for fun.

Also, I believe there are only 4 flying Hellcats (Minsi III, that light blue one with extra windows, Chino's, and the one at Duxford). There are a few more airworthy ones that have been retired from flying, I think (like the Air Zoo one).

Just wondering, why is it that some warbirds are more numerous than others, like the Wildcat vs. the Hellcat? I can understand a plane like the Kingcobra, but I would've expected more Hellcats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back