HADRIAN GLIDER

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Have bought a 1/72 WACO Hadrian Kit.
As my dad flew them when he was posted to 672 Sqn at RAF Bikram in 1945, I'd like to finish it with SEAC roundels, but what cammo scheme was used?
I presume it could have been the same as the CG-4As used by the Americans to fly the Chindits into Burma - Olive Drab??

I believe most of the RAF's aircraft in the SEAC had the two-tone upper: green/tan with the sky-blue underside aline with the blue/white rounded.
That is very much an oversimplification. It represents one scheme from the early days of the campaign. Some types delivered from the USA used standard US colours e.g. B-24. The main fighter schemes in 1945 were

Dark green / Dark Earth / Medium Sea Grey - Temperate Land Scheme
Dark Green / Ocean Grey / Medium Sea Grey (or US equivalents) - Standard RAF Day Fighter Scheme
Some P-47Ds were also in Natural Metal in 1945 as were some B-24.

Sometimes different schemes on aircraft in the same squadron.

Blue/white roundels were only used by the RAF for a short time in mid-1943. From Sept 1943 they were light blue / dark blue. The RN used blue / white from April 1944 in the Eastern Fleet / East Indies Fleet

I suppose it may have seemed to be a simplified answer, but it steered the OP in the right direction and I was not able to go into complete detail as I was at work.

But the core of the question has been answered, especially with your great details, right? :)

That is very much an oversimplification. It represents one scheme from the early days of the campaign. Some types delivered from the USA used standard US colours e.g. B-24. The main fighter schemes in 1945 were

Dark green / Dark Earth / Medium Sea Grey - Temperate Land Scheme
Dark Green / Ocean Grey / Medium Sea Grey (or US equivalents) - Standard RAF Day Fighter Scheme
Some P-47Ds were also in Natural Metal in 1945 as were some B-24.

Sometimes different schemes on aircraft in the same squadron.

Blue/white roundels were only used by the RAF for a short time in mid-1943. From Sept 1943 they were light blue / dark blue. The RN used blue / white from April 1944 in the Eastern Fleet / East Indies Fleet
Does anyone know how the Hadrian was tipped up to put the 'stick" in place at approximately the back of the cabin? This was done so that vehicles/guns could be unloaded without a big ramp.

I have noticed in many pics and a couple of footages it was done by lifting the tail up manually.

Waco CG-4A Hadrian.jpg

Waco CG-4A Hadrian_a.jpg

Waco CG-4A Hadrian_b.jpg

the pic source:
WACO 'Hadrian' Glider | ParaData

Eventually found the reference in the erection and maintenance manual.
Now all I need is a drawing of the towing frame above the pilots as the model doesn't include that.

Attachments

• Tail support system.JPG
    Tail support system.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 9
Have bought a 1/72 WACO Hadrian Kit.
As my dad flew them when he was posted to 672 Sqn at RAF Bikram in 1945, I'd like to finish it with SEAC roundels, but what cammo scheme was used?
I presume it could have been the same as the CG-4As used by the Americans to fly the Chindits into Burma - Olive Drab??
Hi Wavertee my uncle was in 673 Sqn at RAF Bikram in 1945 also. Alan Willetts.

Hi Wavertee my uncle was in 673 Sqn at RAF Bikram in 1945 also. Alan Willetts.
Alan, just finished reading the book "The Last Drop". It is the story of the assault over the Rhine. One of the pilots is quoted as saying that he was trained as a pilot in the USA and came back to the UK in Nov 44. He was part of the group of pilots due to travel to India for the six RAF glider squadrons, but he and a few others were pulled back at the last minute to make up the numbers for the Rhine crossing. The book tells that the casualty rate among glider pilots was 27%!!!! A harrowing tale.

I have actually been inside one of these at the Harris Hill soaring museum, the one it was olive green but it was a former USAAC, so i am not too sure about RAF models.

I have actually been inside one of these at the Harris Hill soaring museum, the one it was olive green but it was a former USAAC, so i am not too sure about RAF models.
As the US-supplied Hadrian was only used for training, I doubt if the O.D. was overpainted. The only other Hadrians in the theatre had been supplied and crewed by the US to fly the Chindits behind enemy lines. Perhaps these few used for training were ones recovered from the Chindit raids?

As the US-supplied Hadrian was only used for training, I doubt if the O.D. was overpainted. The only other Hadrians in the theatre had been supplied and crewed by the US to fly the Chindits behind enemy lines. Perhaps these few used for training were ones recovered from the Chindit raids?
I am sorry, after looking through pics I realize it was not a hadrian, it was a cg-4 waco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back