Halifax III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeomans

Recruit
Mar 11, 2012
I think this is a Halifax III and the underwing coding looks to be LL543 (?) I would appreciate if any of the experts on this forum could confirm or correct this. Could I also ask if the underwing coding was normal and if so does that help date the image perhaps?
Many thanks.

Attachments

• 291666ec-e46c-44f8-9a93-ef8b80412276.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Additionally .. it looks like it is the Mk.III according to the A.M form 78. But the LL 543 serial belonged to the Mk.V according to a couple of books for the bomber.
Anyway IMHO the pic is a post-war shot because the serials on the underwings were applied at the very end of the war and later. Because the Halifax was scrapped at the end of the 1946 so the image should be taken somewhere between the end of 1945 and 1946.

The no.296 RAF Squadron used the Halifax : September 1944-March 1945 ... HP Halifax Mk.V and February 1945-January 1946 ... HP Halifax Mk.III

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The serial number in the form above looks like LW543. LW542 was lost Mar 1944 and was a Mk.lll.... Accident Handley Page Halifax Mk III LW542, Wednesday 15 March 1944

Rather no, Geo. IMHO that's the LL serial ...

What is more , it seems there is the "H" letter painted on the main landing gear. It was quite common and the individual plane letters can be found in many pics of the Halifax bomber. So if I'm right she was wearing either the 9W-H or 7C-H for the 296 RAF Squadron.

I hadn't spotted the letter on the main landing gear. I think it could perhaps be an R or an H and will have a better look through the ORB to see if it can resolve this. Thanks again.

The serial number in the form above looks like LW543. LW542 was lost Mar 1944 and was a Mk.lll.... Accident Handley Page Halifax Mk III LW542, Wednesday 15 March 1944
I initially copied/pastied the wrong link (LW543), then deleted it and installed the correct link. Somehow during the time I was editing that post Yeomans Replied or Quoted that link.

Perhaps Yeomans or a Moderator could edit Post #4 and delete the incorrect link/Quote (The upper quote.).

Last edited:
I saw that the link for the wrong aircraft had been posted originally but was quickly amended. Post #4 is, I think, giving the correct link ie. attachment 788011

Humm.... both links in the post #4 are correct also the attached images. So it may be left as it is. However if you wish I may edit the post with the quotation of your post #3.

Humm.... both links in the post #4 are correct also the attached images. So it may be left as it is. However if you wish I may edit the post with the quotation of your post #3.
Sorry for all of the confusion. I initially installed the incorrect link to LW543 (which fubar57 mentions above) and then corrected it and did some re-editing. As I was doing this editing Yeomans was Quoting my posts, but apparently he Quoted both correct links to LL543. Based on what fubar57 had said I assumed the first quote in Yeomans response was the incorrect link for LW543.

Feel free to edit out all of the mumbo jumbo nonsense that isn't LL543 related.

LL112 to LL153Halifax V
LL167 to LL198Halifax V
LL213 to LL258Halifax V
LL270 to LL312Halifax V
LL325 to LL367Halifax V
LL380 to LL423Halifax V
LL437 to LL469Halifax V
LL481 to LL521Halifax V
LL534 to LL559Halifax
LL573 to LL615Halifax III

Users who are viewing this thread