Halifax MKIII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Peebs

Senior Airman
Apr 7, 2010
Werribee Vic
G'day Guys,

I met a patient of my wife a few years back, who is a RAF WWII Vet. He intern gave me quite a bit of his memorabilia and showed me his medals including, a little worm badge I think it was, that signified He'd survived a parachutte jump after being shot down.

Don was the radio operater of a halifax bomber of 35 squadron that was shot down over Hannover, he spent 18 months as a POW.

Having run into him at the local shopping centre this morning I got to thinking I'd like to build a model to replicate his plane, so my question is there a decent Halifax model kit available, and will I be able to get the correct markings(letter decals) for his plane?

A link to a little info on the gentleman in question... W/O Don Smedley - 35 Squadron

cheers
pete

Great stuff Peter.
The Airfix Halifax Mk III is still available, in 1/72nd scale. Although dating from the 1950s, it's quite a good kit, if a little basic in parts. If you need detail interior shots, then have a look at the Yorkshire Air Museum web-site, as they have a virtual tour of the interior of their Halifax, built from large sections of a survivor, plus wings and landing gear etc from a Hastings.
Dull Red code letter decal sheets are available from Hannants, although not sure about serial number decals in 1/72nd scale.
The little 'worm' badge is actually a caterpillar, presented by Irvin, the parachute manufacturers, and signifies that the person is a member of the Caterpillar Club, exclusive to those who have used an Irvin parachute in an emergency. The badges used to be made from gold, and had tiny diamonds inlaid - so it's worth checking out!

Don's story is very interesting and sounds quite a lot like my fathers P.O.W. stories right down to the Cra*py potato soup and getting strafed my allied planes on a march between camps, although in his case it was a pair of P-47's

Thanks for the info guys,

I'm trying to find the dimensions of the Identification letters and serial numbers? does any know these sizes or where i might look to find them.

It appears 35 squaron's Halifax's had white letters and id numbers, colorado do 1:72 scale from 6" to 48"

cheers
pete

The code leters were 48 inch normally. If they're white, then it's post war!
The originall code letters were grey, changing to Dull Red throughout WW2. with some exceptions on day light ops, where a yellow outline was applied. The grey letters were used on the Squadron's Halifax Mk1 and II, used between Nov 1940 and Feb 42, and Jan 42 to March 44 respectively. By the time the MkII came onto Squadron strength, and ceratinly at the time of the MkIII (Dec 43 to March 44), the letters were Dull Red.
The lettres are available in a 1/72nd scale sheet, which is also suitable for some 1/48th scale models, such as Boston and Mitchell. I've got the sheet, but can't lay my hands on it at the moment, as it's buried at the bottom of a pile of stuff whilst i re-arrange the spare room!
I'll retrieve it and let you know the details soon.

LOL as its a black+White photo I've been looking at, i assumed white, but its obviously grey!! I guess for a difinitive answer on what was onn the side of his plane I should ask Don eh?

Thanks again
Pete

If they are grey, then it's early war period, and not a MkIII. These codes were not in use very long. Depending on the type of film, lighting conditions etc, Dull Red codes can look lighter in B&W pics, and it's almost certain they would be this colour if a MkIII.
I've probably got pics of this Squadron's Halifaxes somewhere - I know I certainly have got some of their MkIs and IIs.

From the timing of the last op, it seems certain it was a Merlin-engined Halifax, like the one in the group photo on the earlier-posted site. That would necessitate the use of the Matchbox kit (I don't know if the recent Revell release is the same).

Chances are it would require the square tailfins with the Boulton-Paul four-gun mid-upper turret. It is likely that the retro-fitted square fins would have got to a squadron like 35 because it was a PFF squadron. All these bits were available in the old Matchbox kit which I could have sworn had decals for 10 and 35 Sqns.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Hi Michael, and welcome to the forum. Yes, the Revell kit is the original Matchbox moulding. Don't know what decals are with the kit these days though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back