Happy D-day day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well it's the 80th anniversary of D-day and the 38th anniversary for the wife and I. I tell everyone I got married on the sixth of June so I would always remember something important happened on that day, I just keep getting in trouble because I keep thinking it was in 1944, I ain't that old!😂

Well it's the 80th anniversary of D-day and the 38th anniversary for the wife and I. I tell everyone I got married on the sixth of June so I would always remember something important happened on that day, I just keep getting in trouble because I keep thinking it was in 1944, I ain't that old!😂
Well played on the date. And 38 years a team is something.
I think you will be forgiven the 1944 bit.
Chicks dig a guy who remembers an important day.
Be it the largest sea invasion till now or an i do.
The will only hear the i do bit part. And love you for it.

I have known a great many WWII vets (family, friends and acquaintances), but only one who was at D-Day, June 6th.

Since his passing, June 6th has become both a remembrance for that day, as well as my friendship with Jack.

:salute:

May we never forget their sacrifices.

SUPREME HEADQUARTERS
ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hope and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

IMG_5891.jpeg

IMG_5892.jpeg

IMG_5893.jpeg

IMG_5894.jpeg

IMG_5895.jpeg

IMG_5896.jpeg

IMG_5897.jpeg

IMG_5898.jpeg

I've been fortunate enough to visit Normandy twice. The first time was for the 50th Anniversary and the second time was 12 years ago. Here are some pics from the 2012 trip. My 50th pics are not digital. Eventually I would like to dig them out and scan them.

IMG_5899.jpegIMG_5900.jpegIMG_5901.jpegIMG_5902.jpegIMG_5903.jpegIMG_5914.jpegIMG_5915.jpegIMG_5916.jpegIMG_5917.jpegIMG_5904.jpegIMG_5905.jpegIMG_5906.jpegIMG_5907.jpegIMG_5908.jpegIMG_5909.jpegIMG_5910.jpegIMG_5911.jpegIMG_5912.jpegIMG_5913.jpegIMG_5918.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back