Harlem Hellfighters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider

Captain
Apr 23, 2005
Lincolnshire
We are all aware that racism was the norm in the US forces during WW2 and non whites were almost totally excluded from front line duties. I was interested to hear about the above unit that served in WW1. They were an all black unit that had officers who were both white and black but because of the racism in the USA they served with the French Army.
They had a mixed existence, in the USA they were not treated the same as other units but in the French Army they were the same as any other unit. Their record in combat record was second to none and despite being 1% of the US forces deployed to France, they were responsible for approx. 20% of the ground captured by US Forces.

I had never heard of them until today

I can't recommend any articles or books about them, I have none and unfortunately my focus on WWI is limited. What little digging I did do saw a lot of the Hell-fighters move to France after the war. I guess they were treated better there than in the US....

there is a graphic novel out there somewhere too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back