Has ANYONE seen a copy of THIS A-36 manual/catalog? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mustangtmg

Airman
Mar 8, 2014
Those of you who wonder if we will EVER stop telling folks that the North American Aviation dive-bomber, the A-36A, was always and forEVER officially named "Mustang"? - I ask this question (forgive me if this is a "repeat")?

Has anyone ever seen the parts catalog, the cover of which is attached?

I received this as a scan from the longtime (now-retired) historical archivist at Boeing in 2019 --- yeah...4 yrs ago. It was one of two scans that he sent me in April, 2019 because he knew of my "quest" from previous contacts with him.

So, has ANYone ever seen this catalog (in print or in digital format)? I'm a cheap person but within reason, I'd pay to get a copy of the manual.

Thank y'all very much!

Tom

Attachments

• A-36 Parts Manual Cover frm M Lombardi 4-2019 Boeing Credited sm.jpg
    A-36 Parts Manual Cover frm M Lombardi 4-2019 Boeing Credited sm.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 29

Here's the thing: "Invader" was a nickname/colloquial name for the A-36A Mustang.

It originated in the 12th Air Force in the MTO, probably in 1943 (after the 500 A-36As ended production). A pilot in the 86th FBG, whose name I could dig out of a book, but I've forgotten it, after pilots and groundcrew referred to the plane as "Invader" because, as they said (I'm paraphrasing), "we're always invading and taking over enemy airfields, etc." This pilot went so far as to petition the USAAF and NAA to change the name from "Mustang" to "Invader," but that was a non-starter, since that name had already been given, OFFICIALLY, to the Douglas Aircraft Company's A-26 Attack/Light Bomber aircraft.
"That "Invader" advertisement has been seen for a number of years, along with ones that specifically call the A-36 "Mustang." Refer to the bottom of this Allison ad from 1944. The association with the "Mustang" name for the A-36 had appeared in other ads as well.

1679257982449.jpeg

Let's not forget that today's USAF members refer to the F-16 Fighting Falcon as the "Viper," and the A-10 Thunderbolt II as the "Warthog" (or simply the "Hog").

You have seen my copy of the Dutch Kindelberger-to-Col. Arthur I. Ennis Telegram from 13 July, 1942, correct? It was sent to me (as stated before) by the Boeing Historical Archivist almost 4 years ago, along with the cover of that A-36A Preliminary Illustrated Parts Catalog. I might add that he sent me that without my requesting further information after some initial emails between the two of us.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that NAA themselves, referred to the A-36 as "Mustang" more than once in their newsletter. Strangely enough, after many hours of digging in the "Flying Magazine" archives in Google Books, I came across a letter to the editor (during the WWII years)

The "Invader" name, I will admit, "made it into" some USAAF documents, mostly write-ups by pilots, etc.

The simple fact remains that "Mustang" is the only OFFICIAL name that the A-36A ever had...

This is from the May, 1944 issue of "Flying Magazine," and ... well this "Letter to the Editor" says it pretty well (the line about "Apache" being chosen by the manufacturer...is a conflation of the the "house name" for the two XP-51 aircraft given to the USAAF from the NA-73 batch (first production Mustangs, the Mustang Mk I in the RAF) built for the RAF, AND later, to the 57 (or 58) NA-91 aircraft held back by the USAAF, from the 3rd batch of Mustangs built for the RAF and called "Mustang Mk IA" in the RAF 9 (these were the first aircraft purchased under the terms of the Lend-Lease Act of 1941, by the USAAF for a nation fighting the Germans, Italians and Japanese before the US was involved in the War. AND, once again, the USAAF never called the A-36A (the only model made, BTW) anything but "Mustang."

1679258752776.jpeg

I'm glad to answer any more questions, and hopefully a new article in a printed magazine is forthcoming later this year that will help solidify the Mustang name for the A-36A.

Cheers.
Tom

Yes, I understand all of that.

My point was to show that North American Aviation published an early dated ad that called it "Invader" for what ever reason. Additionally, early dated North American manuals also call it "A-36A Mustang" and at times just "A-36A Airplane". These are all original source documents, but with different nomenclature for the same plane.

It doesn't surprise me that latter dated (1944) manuals have transitioned to using "Mustang" on a more regular basis.

My point was to show that North American Aviation published an early dated ad that called it "Invader" for what ever reason.

Note the wording though: "Yank pilots nicknamed it 'Invader'".

What pilots nicknamed an aircraft is a different thing from an aircraft's official name.

Last edited:
Don't think the USAAF would be happy about seeing "B-26 Martin Murderer" or "B-26 Flying Prostitute", or "B-26 Baltimore Whore" in print in civilian magazines... much less "B dash crash"!

The A-7 Corsair II was variously known with nicknames.

My favorite two are "SLUFF" and "SLAT," for "Short Little Ugly Fat F***er", and "Slow Low Aerial Target."

The Douglas A3D Skynight was called the DRUT, among others nicknames. Spell that backwards and you have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back