Hawker Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pilot_255_RAF_w.b.hay.jpg
pilot_255a_RAF_w.b.hay.jpg

Didn't bring his parachute back though did he...the naughty boy :)

More seriously, he looks in better shape than you'd expect for someone who had been through such an ordeal.

Cheers

Steve

Hawker Sea Hurricane Mark I, V6733, of the Merchant Ship Fighter Unit, on the fo'c'sle catapult on board Catapult Armed Merchantman (CAM ship) SS EMPIRE DARWIN, in a convoy heading for North Africa. Note the flaps pre-selected in the take-off position. The catapult was angled to starboard over the ship's bows to prevent the blast from its rockets hitting the superstructure, and to reduce the risk of the pilot being run over by the ship, should the aircraft ditch after launch.
3rd August 1941: The first Condor shot down by a Hurricat
Hawker-Sea-Hurricane-Mark-I-on-board-Catapult-Armed-Merchantman.jpg
CAM-ship-with-Hurricat-on-launcher.jpg
Hawker-Sea-Hurricane-Mark-I.jpg

The catapult on terra firma must be the one erected at the MSFU at Speke on July 6th 1941. The first one was erected at Farnborough by the Experimental Catapult Flight of the R.A.E. It was only suitable for Fulmars.
The man in charge of the Farnborough catapult was a Mr. Crowfoot, famous for his bowler hat, and he came too Speke to oversee the new catapult, along with Squadron Leader Louis Strange (DSO, MC, DFC from WW1 and 49 years old) who would subsequently run all launches at Speke. He was the first pilot to be launched from the Speke catapult. He landed to tell the assembled pilots

"If an old boy like me can do it,it won't mean a thing to lads like you."

The first launch was not without some problems. One account recorded that it was

"a great occasion which was witnessed by everyone who could possibly attend. Squadron Leader Strange did a magnificent launch in which the blast screen suffered severely, being partially stripped of its metal facing, the woodwork set on fire, and the whole being left in a shaky condition. After this exhibition of what the firing of the catapult could do in the way of blast, the screen was greatly strengthened."

Different times!

I suspect the photograph of the launch from a ship might have been taken in Canada. It was common practice for the aircraft to fly off at the end of a crossing. Initially they were craned off, then transported for maintenance, but flying off proved much quicker and more fun.

Cheers

Steve

Yep, Louis Strange was one heck of a character. A Colonel in the RFC in WW1, and a very early pioneer of early powered flight, who was still active in the early part of WW2, flying a Hurricane down a village street in France, to escape from Bf109s, before the evacuation in 1940.
Instrumental, if not the founder of the first parachute school at Ringway (now Manchester International Airport), and central to the development of British Airborne Forces.
His story is wonderfully covered in the book 'Flying Rebel', by Peter Hearne, a tale that Hollywood would love, but the average 'Joe Public' would hardly believe, and definitely worth reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back