Hawker Typhoon IB or Republic P-47D-27

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As for the Air to Air kills, simply stating the number of kills per aircraft type isn't a good comparison. As you pointed out, there were roughly 5 times as many P-47s built than Typhoons. So on that basis, the P-47 averages out at 0.2426 kills per aircraft, and the Typhoon 0.0755 kills per aircraft, meaning the P-47 brought down roughly 3 times as many aircraft than the Typhoon. Then we have to look at some other factors. The P-47 can operate well at all altitudes, while the Typhoon is confined, by performance issues, to low-level. Which then means the P-47 is more likely to encounter enemy aircraft. Also, the Typhoon was only used (to my knowledge) on the European Front, while the P-47 was also used in the Far East, furthering its chances of enemy aircraft encounters.

So numbers alone cannot tell the whole story.

Plus I have read somewhere (and quite a while ago) that the German Army feared the Typhoon more than any other aircraft on the western front

So numbers alone cannot tell the whole story.

You're right, but Jabberwocky raised some pretty pertinent points in his post all those years ago. I'd have to go with the consensus and agree with the P-47, although the Typhoon is very capable brute of a machine, no doubt, its big Achilles heel was its Sabre engine.

P47D is a late model so you cant really compare it to the later Typhoons as they were primarily ground attack, how the early Tiffie compared with the early Thud is more of a question, visibility defiantly favours the Hawker offering!

• Do you people know the story of Robert S. Johnson, a quintuple ace in World War 2? He was flying a P-47 when he was pounced on by 3 Fw-190s. The latter peppered his plane with 20mm cannon fire that sent the jug into a death spiral. Miraculously, Johnson recovered from the stall and headed home. On his return trip, his plane was pounced on once again, this time, by German ace Egon Meyer, who fired on him until he ran out of ammunition. When Johnson returned to base, he started to count how many bullet holes riddled his plane. When he reached 200 without moving around the plane, he gave up. Considering the Jug's tank-like construction, it can easily destroy a Hawker Typhoon, which was originally intended to be a fighter, but failed to meet its requirements.

I think if you read some of the threads on this forum, a great majority of the folks on here not only know about this one particular story, they could tell you more about this incident in greater detail (and truthful accuracy) than Martin Cadin.

Users who are viewing this thread