Hawker Typhoon Tempest V...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aircro

Airman 1st Class
Jan 10, 2009
colour of the seat bets rockets?:confused:

The late model seat harness on both the Typhoon and Tempest could be one of two colours. A mid bown, similar to Dark Earth, or a 'buff' coloured lighter brown. Eyelets were brass, the adjusting buckles were dull metal (steel) coloured, and the main fastening catch, a circular 'box', was grey.Very late Tempests had a dark grey harness, with blue-black buckles. Note that the cockpits were not overall Cockpit Green as with previous RAF aircraft. The sidewalls were black, as were switch consoles and instrument panel. The tubular framework in the lower fusealge was Cockpit Green or silver painted, as were the heel boards. However, the earlier 'car door' Typhoon had the Cockpit green paintwork on internal surfaces, as did the first production batches of the Typhoon Mk1B with the 'bubble' canopy and three-bladed propellor.
The Tempest did not carry or use RP's during its WW2 service. Those carried on the Typhoon would either be the 60 pound HE warhead, or the slimmer AP warhead, both types being carried on one of two styles of rocket launching rail and rack, one of which had twin, round section launch rails, whilst the other was fitted with a 'flat' rail. These were dark grey or black. The rocket propellant tubes (the main 'body' of the RP) were normally dark green, but could also be black, as was the AP warhead, whilst the HE warhead (the bulbous one) was Dark Green with an olive cast, A red band surrouned the rear section of the warhead, indicating High Explosive.
Hope this helps.

Your'e welcome. BTW, the AP or SAP warheads had a double yellow band (rings) just behind the extreme nose.

Thanks VB ! But I have got almost fifty years worth of collected stuff, and coincidentally, in this case, I've just finished digging into it for the Typhoon and Tempest for my 56 Squadron build - so the question could be answered 'off the top of my head'!! Just don't ask me about Italian or Japanese aircraft - I haven't a clue, and don't know the difference between a Fiat Zeke or a Nakajima Veltro!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back