I took a trip to the Imperial War Museum's Duxford site on Thursday and as ever there was plenty new to see. Last time I was there, the strip-down of the IWM's He 162 had just begun and I was keen to see how they were getting on. And the results of the team's efforts are very impressive: it looks like this aircraft will be the best of the survivors when it's completed. Particularly notable was the condition of the dismantled engine parts: the turbine wheel looked as if it had been manufactured yesterday.
Unfortunately I couldn't find much on the aircraft's history but the IWM has this to offer:
* W.nr 120235 built as He 162A-2
* Thought to have served with I/JG1
* Captured at Leck May 1945
* To United Kingdom and given s/n "AirMin 63" (or AirMin 68?)
* Arrived at Farnborough 10 August 1945
* Reported to have been flight tested by the RAE at Farnborough 45/46
* To RAF Cranwell for display September 1946
* Placed into storage with No.6 MU Brize Norton
* To Imperial War Museum, South Lambeth for display 1960
Unfortunately I couldn't find much on the aircraft's history but the IWM has this to offer:
* W.nr 120235 built as He 162A-2
* Thought to have served with I/JG1
* Captured at Leck May 1945
* To United Kingdom and given s/n "AirMin 63" (or AirMin 68?)
* Arrived at Farnborough 10 August 1945
* Reported to have been flight tested by the RAE at Farnborough 45/46
* To RAF Cranwell for display September 1946
* Placed into storage with No.6 MU Brize Norton
* To Imperial War Museum, South Lambeth for display 1960
Attachments
-
z1 (2).jpg201 KB · Views: 110 -
z2 (2).jpg204.1 KB · Views: 107 -
z3 (2).jpg204.7 KB · Views: 102 -
z4 (2).jpg259.3 KB · Views: 102 -
z5.jpg247.7 KB · Views: 106 -
z6.jpg206.7 KB · Views: 115 -
z7.jpg212.6 KB · Views: 102 -
z8.jpg194.7 KB · Views: 95 -
z9.jpg255.7 KB · Views: 95 -
z10.jpg211.5 KB · Views: 107