Heinrich Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgestein- log books?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LancasterW4240

Recruit
Sep 29, 2019
Hello all!
I am new to the forum, so would be really interested in anything anyone has to offer. I am trying to conduct some research into the loss of Lancaster W4240, PO-A of 467 sqn RAAF, as the navigator on board the aircraft is a distant relative of mine. The aircraft was lost on 18/10/1943, somewhere northeast of Hanover. I already have quite a lot of information on the aircraft, but am trying to find out which German pilot shot the aircraft down. There is a high chance that the pilot responsible is German ace Heinrich Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgestein, and I would like to confirm this by getting hold of the actual combat report or pilot log book for the night of the 18th October 1943. Does anybody have any information, specifically regarding the Lancaster credited to Wittgestein at 20:35, as written in "Luftwaffe Night Fighter Combat Claims, 1939-45", or know how I can get hold of the original documents, that may have more detail? Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Joe

1569803515756.png

Logbooks are a tremendous resource, when available. I shudder to think how many have been thrown out by surviving relatives. Couple of times I got the comment, "Oh, who would want those old things?"

A UK friend said that the RAF had thousands of MIA/KIA aircrew logbooks in storage but that was in the 70s, I believe. Don't know if the collection would remain today.

Anyway: you might also check Axis History Forum about Luftwaffe logs. I doubt that many were preserved after VE Day.

Logbooks are a tremendous resource, when available. I shudder to think how many have been thrown out by surviving relatives. Couple of times I got the comment, "Oh, who would want those old things?"

A UK friend said that the RAF had thousands of MIA/KIA aircrew logbooks in storage but that was in the 70s, I believe. Don't know if the collection would remain today.

Anyway: you might also check Axis History Forum about Luftwaffe logs. I doubt that many were preserved after VE Day.
Yep, it's certainly a shame there aren't more logbooks readily available...
I'll go and have a look at that forum, thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back