Hellcat vs Spitfire - which would you take?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

finally someone who might agree with me...

I'm not sure that I agree that cutting the Hellcat program could result in more carriers, sooner, but I think that it is fair to say that more carriers sooner would require more fighters sooner and that the F4F/FM2 had to be at least 50% cheaper and faster to build than the F6F. So no Hellcat program = many more FM-2 fighters, sooner, than in the OTL

Well, depending on your enemy to be dumb enough not to improve their own aircraft significantly in 3-4 years is a pretty risky strategy.

The bulk of the better Japanese types show up in small numbers, late in the war and flown by poor pilots.

If the Japanese had fielded a sort of big wing Ki-44 (something half way between the Ki-43 and the Ki-84) as a REPLACEMENT for the Ki-43 in 1943 and had fielded a truly improved Zero (Kinsei engine) at about the same time, depending on the F4F certainly would have been a battle of attrition.

With the majority of aircraft losses often being operational in nature ( engine failure,running out of gas, bad landings, etc) one can look at combat losses two ways. One- it doesn't make much difference in actually capability since so few actual engage in combat. or two- you better concentrate on quality since so few of the planes built will actually engine the enemy, and if you try to overwhelm the enemy with numbers of poorer performing planes (needing 900 for combat instead of 600) then there are going to be another several hundred lost (along with some pilots) due to operational causes.

The Spitfire VIII has a very similar range to the Hellcat with full internal fuel, 740sm at 220mph versus 762sm at 244mph:

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit8adsaussie.jpg

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f6f/f6f-3-ads.jpg

and range with DTs wasn't much different either.

Very good post Shortround6!

To my opinion the aircraft and tactic doctrine of the Japanese were obsolete the whole WWII, especially at 1942-44.
The major concentration on turnfight aircrafts and tacticts were a heavy mistake. The Ki-44 and Ki 61 were the right direction but much too late and with too less performance.
As I have written before in this forum, Japanese a/c's (especially the Zero) would be outdated with it's introduction at the ETO.
Nonetheless the F6F was necessary and the right decision to get back the technology and tactical advantage, but the performance and killratio of the F6F must be looked at this heavy mistake of the Japanese.
To my opinion every firstrated fighter at the ETO (Spitfire V, especially IX, Bf 109F-4, G2-14 and Fw 190 A3-8 or D-09)would had managed the same killratio against the Japanese a/c's as the F6F, witn the difference that the F6F was carrier based.

To the carrier building issue, I have serious doubts.
To my books the Essex was built in 18 month and was delivered 15 month before the deadline through the three shift work. I can't see how anybody or anyone could accelerate the building of this ship class. Also any new ship and weapon system needs at least 6 month training.
So I don't see were are the time for Essex carrier was before middle of 1943.
Also I could claim the LW should built FW 187 (DB powered) since 1939 like hotcakes and the LW will win BoB, the same speculative claim and to my opinion as parsifals Essex claim without substained.

Last edited:

There is a risk of being overtaken such that the existing crop of fighters would no longer be effective. But that wasnt going to happen with Ki44s, Ki61s, or even Ki84s, for very different reasons.

Firstly, the fixation on aircraft technology at the expense of any other issue is falling into the same trap as I alluded to at the beginning of this discussion. Fighter technology is important, but numbers are far more important. provided (and thats a big proviso) your aircraft remain competitive (ne not necessarily superior) thats good enough, provided you have your other ducks lined up.

The main killer of Japanese aircraft in 1943 was not fighter aircraft. The allied aircraft did do some good work, but the biggest threat to the Japanese was the relentless pounding undertaken by the bomber forces, particlualrly the b-24s that by now were entering the TO in considerable numbers. P-40s were the main operational types of the RAAF (which was still fielding nearly 50% of the air forces at this time) and a mix of P-40s, Wildcats, with a few Corsairs and P-38s in the US inventory. With the exception of the Corsairs and the P-38s, none of these fighters were as good as the opposition they faced, yet the allies were still able to win and not just by numbers alone.

This is a pretty good online reference that I would recommend

http://ajrp.awm.gov.au/ajrp/ajrp2.nsf/WebI/Chapters/$file/Chapter3.pdf?OpenElement

(edit: i dont think the link worked...the reference is

Japanese air operations
in New Guinea
Shindo Hiroyuki
Chapter 3

its available online)

You will see from this that in 1943 there was no possibility of a "big wing" being formed in the main TO. 6AD, for example, with responsibilities for the whole of eastern PNG had a single Sentai at its disposal (about 30 fighters). by July, the Japanese had 24 and 25 air flotillas at Rabaul and 4AD. Each of these formations, based on new Britain, were supposed to have had about 100-130 aircraft each, with a total of about 130 fighters, however in November when halsey hit Rabaul with a combined Carrier and land based series of strikes, ther were no more than 200 aircraft at the base. However, even this figure is misleading. as noted in Kanes History of the USMC operations, a note by the senior staff officer of the 25th flotilla gives a real clue as to why the japanese could no longer put up effective resistance (and why investing in the very latest fighter techs was a waste of time)....

" In the beginning of the war, during 1942, if 100% of the planes were available for an attack one day, the next day 80% would be available, on the third day 50%. In 1943, at any one time, only 50% of the planes were ever available, and on the next day following an all-out operation only 30% would be available. By the end of 1943, only 40% at any one time would be serviceable. In 1942, the low availability was due to lack of supply; from 1943 on, it was due to lack of skill on the part of maintenance personnel and faulty manufacturing methods. Inspection of the aircraft and spare parts, prior to their delivery to Rabaul, was inadequate, and there were many poorly constructed and weak parts discovered. The Japanese tried to increase production so fast that proper examination was impossible

Japanese naval aviation had begun the war with 2,120 aircraft of all types, including trainers. In April 1943, after 16 months of heavy fighting, the total strength stood at 2,980, which meant that the manufacturers had been able to do little more than keep pace with combat and operational losses. In the succeeding year, the production rate nearly doubled, but losses soared also; there were 6,598 planes on hand in April 1944, but the standard of construction had deteriorated badly.

Even more serious than the sag in the quality of naval aircraft maintenance and production was the steady attrition of experienced flight personnel. The pilots who began the war averaged 800 hours of flying time, and many of them had combat experience in China. Relatively few of these men survived until the end of 1943; a great many died at Coral Sea and Midway and in air battles over Guadalcanal. Others crashed trying to stretch the limited range of Vals and Kates to cover the long stretch between Rabaul and Guadalcanal. The replacements, pilots and aircrews alike, could not hope to match the worth of the men whose places they too".

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/II/USMC-II-V-1.html

Peeling off production or resources to build Ki44s, or any other type would have also resulted in the collapse of the Japanese air defences. They were literally living a hand to mouth existence by April 1943.

In the SWpac after Guadacanal what was missing from both sides were carriers. But this hurt the Allies far more than it did the japanese. Guadacanal had sapped the carrier strengths of both sides, and both sides (with one or two exceptions) were not in a good position to use their carriers offensively. If the Allies had had two or three additional carriers, Hellcat armed or F4F armed, they would have been able to win the war. But they didnt. In order to have additional carriers in late 1942, the US would have needed to build more carriers inn 1940. Money would have been needed for that. one source might have been to forego, or postpone the hellcat program. There may have been other possibilities, but it was the shortage of carriers at the end of 1942 that made possible continued Japanese resistance and a prolonging of the outcome for another 2 years.

F4Fs, and P-40s proved capable of handling anything the japanese could field right up to the end. They were not superior, in fact towards the end they were decidedly inferior, but the japanese had so many other problems of their own that these disadvantages in the air counted for little. Thats what having the initiative and using it does....it puts your enemy on the rack and ought not be under-estimated. What killed the Japanese were the deep carrier strikes, the unrelenting pounding they received from long range bombing, the attrition on their fleet (particularly their destroyers) and the increasingly merciless submarine campaign. These factors combined to destroy any chance the Japanese may have had, and completely nullified any advantage their fighters may have enjoyed. Fighters in fact were necessary, but not necessary to win the war. Thres a difference. There are no instances of f4Fs or P-40s being completely overwhelmed by the Japanese fighters, and no instances of the japanese being able to thwart the progress of air operations, even in places like darwin.

Last edited:

Once again I ask for any direct evidence that the F6F program actually cost the USN 5 carriers, nor have you supplied any evidence that making do with an improved F4F and building it in larger numbers would have been a war-winning strategy and that it would have defeated the Japaneses far earlier.

How do you propose that the USN suddenly start churning out carriers like hotcakes in 1940, and what other programs would be sacrificed? For example, scrap the TBF and churn out "improved" TBDs?

I reiterate, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Parsifal was speaking hypothetically ("might have") about the comparative cost of the F6F and Essex class programs, and was not drawing a concrete conclusion or comparison. Certainly cancelling one or more Iowa class BBs would have permitted more resources to have been allocated to carrier production, but even 2 more Yorktown or Wasp class CVs would have made a huge difference (as would fewer RN CV losses prior to Dec 1941).

Last edited:
Which carriers could have been available earlier if the Wildcat had been improved?

ID Name Commission
CV -1 Langley (AV-3)
CV -2 Lexington 14Dec27
CV -3 Saratoga 16Nov27
CV -4 Ranger 4Jun34
CV -5 Yorktown 30Sep37
CV -6 Enterprise 12May38
CV -7 Wasp 25Apr40
CV -8 Hornet 20Oct41
CV -9 Essex 31Dec42
CV-10 Yorktown II 15Apr43
CV-11 Intrepid 16Aug43
CV-12 Hornet II 29Nov43
CV-13 Franklin 31Jan44
CV-14 Ticonderoga 8May44
CV-15 Randolph 9Oct44
CV-16 Lexington II 17Feb43
CV-17 Bunker Hill 24May43
CV-18 Wasp II 24Nov43
CV-19 Hancock 15Apr44
CV-20 Bennington 6Aug44
CVL-22 Independence 14Jan43
CVL-23 Princeton 25Feb43
CVL-24 Belleau Wood 31Mar43
CVL-25 Cowpens 28May43
CVL-26 Monterey 17Jun43
CVL-27 Langley II 31Aug43
CVL-28 Cabot 24July43
CVL-29 Bataan 17Nov43
CVL-30 San Jacinto 15Dec43
CV -31 Bonhomme Richard 26Nov44
CV -38 Shangri-La 15Sep44
CV "Robin" May43 to Jul43 loan of HMS Victorious

Which carriers could have been available earlier if the Wildcat had been improved?

More and better F4F/Martlets sooner "might" mean fewer RN CVs are damaged, allowing the RN to loan one or more carriers to the USN sooner than in the OTL. How much did the F6F program cost and would the money saved have allowed for repeat Wasp or Yorktown class CVs? That's the question to be asked, IMHO.

Once again I ask for any direct evidence that the F6F program actually cost the USN 5 carriers,

Check back on the post where I made that statement. I prefaced that by saying, and have said it several times now, that I have no idea of the actual savings that could be made by not proceeding with the Hellcat development and production program. all ive said is that I thought it would be substantial, and suggested it might be as much as the equivalent of 5 carriers. Im not claiming it, just suggesting that it might be that much.

It cost coca Cola about $6million USD in the '60s to develop the aluminium ring pull can for soft drinks. care to estimate what it might cost to develop an aircraft with exactly 28 cranks to work the undercarriage might cost.

nor have you supplied any evidence that making do with an improved F4F and building it in larger numbers would have been a war-winning strategy and that it would have defeated the Japaneses far earlier.

The Japanese fought the f4f and its derivatives for the entire war. there is no evidence that the F4F was inneffective or outclassed by the japanese at any stage. There is no evidence to provide as far as winning the war earlier, because it never happened. how can i provide you with evidence of something that was never done?: What I can show you is that initiative and momentum in military operations counts for a lot. beyond that, you are on your own..

How do you propose that the USN suddenly start churning out carriers like hotcakes in 1940, and what other programs would be sacrificed? For example, scrap the TBF and churn out "improved" TBDs

There is a difference between scrapping the Hellcat and scapping the TBF programs. TBDs were clearly obsolete in 1940, F4fs were not. That should have been apparent in 1940, if proper systems analysis had been undertaken and proper intell reports listened to. I have already indicated that there is a severe danger in not proceeding with the f6f, but history does show that the F4F was an adequate fighter until the end of the war....the TBD was not (an effective torpedo bomber).

I reiterate, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

My claims are this. There is no evidence of the P-40 or the F4F being at serious disadvantage in the air war. There is no evidence that fighter combats were the main reason for Japanese defeat. Japan was defeated in the air, and comprehensively, because of a whole range of factors. Fighter performance counts for little in terms of overall losses, provided your fighters remain competitive. Having the best on the street is nice to have, but not cruciaal. In the pacific carriers were the critical determinant of who would win. In early 1943 the Allies had just about run out of carriers, and this slowed the pace of offensive operations and gave the Japanese a breather that then allowed them to string the war out for several years. Give the allies several more carriers at that critical moment in the war, and they would shorten the war. It would not matter if the carriers had Wildcats or Hellcats embarked, because at that moment the japanese had next to no fighters to resist them, and those that they did have did not make the F4F at all obsolete. the F4F continued to be effective at least until 1945. Not outstanding, but good enough. Later when they (the Japanese) did have more fighters, they were lacking in other areas, such as logistics and replacements (pilots and machines) and their pilots were of poor quality. In that scenario, the quality of the fighters is of minimal importance. Kepping the pressure up is of major importance. The question is...did the American screw the pooch by not building more carriers....did they make this choice so that they could have an unneccessary fighter? I think they did.

The bulk of the better Japanese types show up in small numbers, late in the war and flown by poor pilots.
I hate to tell you, Short, but that's way overrated. If you know anything about U.S. Naval aviation training from January 1943 onwards, and you accept Parsifal's Japanese training hours in his Post #145, you'll see that, in a heartbeat. The Japanese aviators were well ahead of us in training hours in their combat aircraft of choice or assignment until around the middle of 1944. By the time the Kamikazes emerged, they had roughly half the hours we had, but still, were sufficiently endowed. Give the SBD and the F6F aviators around 90 training hours in those combat aircraft, and the TBF/TBMs a little more, while the F4F/FMs a little less. I'm not vouching for Parsifal's Japanese numbers. Accepting them, though, that's how it was.

My claim is this;

Your formula, more carriers, more F4Fs, does not guarantee that the Pacific War would end a year earlier, or that the Island Hopping campaigns would have met with success. That's only your unsupported belief.

As you have also admitted you have no idea whether dropping the F6F program would have allowed funding for more carriers, so I don't know why you bothered to bring that red herring up because it is a meaningless "argument". I could argue, with more evidence, that the money the Navy would have wasted on more carriers and F4Fs would have been better spent on developing effective submarine and aircraft torpedoes, and building more submarines, as well as developing a far more effective strategic and tactical use of submarines. THAT would have beaten the Japanese even more quickly, because the submarine campaign truly did have the potential to give the US all the initiative and momentum it needed..

Last edited:

My claim is, where are the manpower and recources to built this carriers faster?
Parsifal is very busy to claim almost unachievable claims for the Allied, but deny obvious what ifs for the axis, to me this are claims from a quacksalver.

Your formula, more carriers, more F4Fs, does not guarantee that the Pacific War would end a year earlier, or that the Island Hopping campaigns would have met with success. That's only your unsupported belief.

Giving a precise number is probably not such a good idea. But ther is plenty of evidence to support the other parts of the issue.

F4Fs proved themselves throughout 1943 of maintinaing control of the situation and providng quite effective fleet defences. There should be nothing controversial about that. They, along with P-40s and a smattering of more modern types were quite capable of keeping the Japanese on a conatanst state of crisis throughour that long year year, as evidenced by the reports given by the Japanese themselves.

And ther should also be little argument that carriers were the key to the successful allied offensive. Just about every credible account on the Pacific war agrees with that.

So, putting the two elements together should not be hard. Here we have an adequate fighter and a critical element for victory. We also know that the Japanese in 1943 were in an absolute parlous state as far as maintaining a credible air presence. Their fighters had been reduced to unimportance by means other than the Hellcat by that stage, there is no evidence, whatsoever to suggest that things might turn around after 1943. That, by any standard you want to apply means the F6F was superfluous to final victory. nice to have, effective, the best of the best. I have no problem with using those descriptions of the hellcat. But not esential to winning the war. Not even esential to keeping own losses down as the operations in 1943 clearly show.

As you have also admitted you have no idea whether dropping the F6F program would have allowed funding for more carriers, so I don't know why you bothered to bring that red herring up because it is a meaningless "argument".

The thread is about F6F versus Spitfire. Which was more valuable? Determining value does not mean looking at basic figures. It means looking at the critical impoprtance of a given weapon system to the final outcome. Air victories are meaningless unless they contribute in some way to the final victory. The Hellcat certainly contributed to the US victory, but the pertinent question is did it make that much difference? Obviously we have to use some Obfuscation and speculation as well as some extrapolation here, which you guys, as the defenders of the right and pure are bound to exploit to serve your purposes. But in my opinion, there is no evidence that the Allies were wanting pre-Hellcat, pleanty of evidence they were coping just fine without it, and plenty more evidence they needed carriers to finish the japanese off after the bruising guadacanal and Kokoda campaigns.

I would nbever say impossible, but if you think about it, even though achievable at a far lower cost, was really extrapolating to the point of hyperbole. Getting the US submarines and torpedoes to work is not about force availability, so much as developing the weapon systems commanders and command systems to work properly. and that is on a fixed timeline. You cannot prodeuce effective commanders or command systems are defective until subjected to actual combat experience. and that could not happen in 1940...it had to wait until 1942, and then folow a fixed timeline to get to the point of efficiency.

I will try and see if there are any generic R&D costs associated with the F6F program. I do have some figures on the LW R&D program for the wqar and how much was spent on specific items. Its quite a lot of money, even for relatively small technology advances

My claim is, where are the manpower and recources to built this carriers faster?
Parsifal is very busy to claim almost unachievable claims for the Allied, but deny obvious what ifs for the axis, to me this are claims from a quacksalver.

The US in 1940 had nasically the same shipbuilding potential that it had in 1942. There was plenty of unused capacity in 1940, but fiscal restrictions limited the size of the build.

From one Quacksalver to another I guess

The US in 1940 had nasically the same shipbuilding potential that it had in 1942. There was plenty of unused capacity in 1940, but fiscal restrictions limited the size of the build.

From one Quacksalver to another I guess

How do you want to get a three shift work from a nation and workmen, that are not at war?
That the Essex carrier could be built during 15 to 20 month was only possible through this three shift work. Essex was 15 month earlier ready then the deadline, how do you want to get this in peacetime? With which explanation?
Perhaps the neutrality and the spirit of neutrality of USA was more singlesided and not so much neutral, if you claim such a workbuilding at peacetime (1940)?!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread