Help ID this helo... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
Ok gang, here's a good one.
I'm familiar with just about every firefighting aircraft since I see them every summer for months on end up here in Northern California.

As far as rotory-wing types go, this one has me stumped. I haven't seen it before and it's configured almost like a super-lift, except it's tiny and is a contra-rotating setup.
Also interesting to see that it's taking it's "bambi bucket" along, when usually the water buckets are picked up at a forward base for deployment and then dropped off before heading back to refuel.

I captured it with this crappy cellphone, so I'll post the fullsized photo so you can zoom in for a better look.

20210716_201335.jpg

A very interesting machine for sure! Kaman would recycle the blades when they timed out. I took care of records for the three aircraft and some of the way they tracked components was archaic!

I suppose that the "intermeshing rotors" should have been my first clue, Kaman has been using that design since shortly after WWII.

I'm just not all that familiar with the K-MAX since they are rarely seen around here.
The heli-logging up here is done mostly by Columbia, who also use the Sikorsky superlifts.

-Some time ago I saw one in Florida lifting logs and in the past couple of weeks they have been on TV as part of the wildfire coverage. I don't know if any are flying locally; my guess is that the news crews just stick in footage because they have a rather different appearance.
-As noted above, unmistakably Kaman; I saw HH-43s on the ramp in Vietnam.
-I believe that the Seasprite was Kaman's only production helicopter with conventional rotors. Kaman had some interesting experimental designs.

In Dec 2011, 2 K-Max helos entered service with the USMC in Afghanistan... operating in autonomous and remotely-piloted modes.

They remained in operation there until May 2014, and are now being used to establish the official requirements for a formal "Program of Record" for an unmanned cargo helo for the USMC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back