Help Identify Armored Windscreen

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ou812_Fly

Recruit
Jan 4, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
I have been trying to identify this armored Windscreen. There is a part Number "VS-24815" printed at the top of the screen. Another guy in England has the same screen which was recovered with other WWII aircraft parts. Here are a few photos.

th_12062_P1010049_122_911lo.jpg
th_12068_P1010047-small_122_1050lo.jpg
th_12074_P1010039_122_40lo.jpg
th_12090_P1010040_122_884lo.jpg

th_12271_P1010050_122_1038lo.jpg

Flyboy, how do you find stuff like this? Do you have your own database or have access to old part numbers. Or do you just search the web?

It's impressive how you find things like this.

A little of both - there an aviation archaeology website I use for part numbers and inspection stamps. Then based on what I know about aircraft and where I would "guess" where a certain component would go then I'll search the Internet for photos It's kind of fun!

Thank You for Identifying the Windscreen. I already had about a day in trying to Identify through Photos and such. Do you want to let us in on your aviation archaeology website?

Also, on which model Corsair did you find this?

Thanks Again,

ou812_Fly (Barry)

I got the screen from a guy I work with who got it from his Dad, who had gotten it from a friend's barn when he was a teen. They thought it was from an airplane, but was'nt sure. The second I saw it, I knew it was armored glass from a plane. I'm still trying to nail down the Corsair Model. It is one of the P4U-??'s. The "VS" is definately from the Vought-Sikorsky.

Hi Barry;

It was my pleasure to help - it's hard to say what model Corsair it's from. Also it may be specific for a "block" of aircraft ordered by a specific customer. It seems there were several versions of this component and finally it also seems that current Corsair operators discard this item from their aircraft.

I'll see what I could find out, again glad to help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back