Help identify possible B29 nose cone (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

totalnewbie

Recruit
Dec 4, 2022
My sister in law took this picture whilst on holiday in Guadalcanal. Is it a B29 nose cone? It looks similar to pictures I have seen but there are some differences in the bottom radial section so I'm not sure. May not even be from an aircraft, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG-20221204-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20221204-WA0001.jpg
    849.2 KB · Views: 115
Upon closer inspection, I don't think that's from a Betty although that is a really good guess. The Betty had a frame that wrapped all the way around between the plexiglass nose piece and where it attached to the fuselage (see image below). The nose cone in the original post only has a partial frame that only goes maybe half way around the nose cone. At the bottom of the photo this is also a smaller round section of structure. Whatever was there is missing (gun port? landing light?). From what I can tell, the Betty did not have that unless it was specific to a variant. I agree with cvairwerks, it is definitely not from a B-29.

Attachments

• G4M-45s.jpg
    G4M-45s.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 43
I hadn't ruled out the Betty, understanding there were variants, but I wasn't able to find a photo of a Betty with the MG swivel to confirm it. I was also looking at the Ki-49 as a possibility. Thanks for the confirmation.

I hadn't ruled out the Betty, understanding there were variants, but I wasn't able to find a photo of a Betty with the MG swivel to confirm it. I was also looking at the Ki-49 as a possibility. Thanks for the confirmation.

You should check our forum media ...

full.png

Also there is a difference between the G4M nose MG mount and the one for the Ki-49. The Betty had it as we can notice in the image in question. The Helen had the mount in the additional round flat glass with the ring frame. Here a couple of pics for comparing ....

The Betty ...
G4M_1945_a.jpg

G4M_1945.jpg

G4M_1945_.jpg

The Helen ...
Ki-49-26.jpg

Ki-49-16.jpg

Ki-49-6.jpg

the source: the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back