Help in identifying individual Mustang air frame. (Please note: high resolution images attached) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rastarn

Recruit
Oct 12, 2011
tribusmortius.blogspot.com
Hi All,

You will notice attached, the well known image of a quad armed Mustang, captioned in some places as a P-51A over California in 1942. I have attached the full scan from the Library of Congress, (out of copyright), as a jpg, which weighs in at about 44mb, although the original tiff is around 149mb.
I've been trying to identify the individual aircraft in preparation for a possible modelling project, and I've had difficulty finding the details.
1a35324u.jpg
A small amount of digital manipulation reveals a painted over number behind the roundel, ending in 7416, (possibly 7418), with the preceding number(s) difficult to read.
7416.jpg

Please, is anyone able to assist in identifying the individual aircraft and provide any historical detail, particularly with regard to the armament carried?

Kindest regards,
Kas

Hi All,

You will notice attached, the well known image of a quad armed Mustang, captioned in some places as a P-51A over California in 1942. I have attached the full scan from the Library of Congress, (out of copyright), as a jpg, which weighs in at about 44mb, although the original tiff is around 149mb.
I've been trying to identify the individual aircraft in preparation for a possible modelling project, and I've had difficulty finding the details.
View attachment 642146
A small amount of digital manipulation reveals a painted over number behind the roundel, ending in 7416, (possibly 7418), with the preceding number(s) difficult to read.
View attachment 642147
Please, is anyone able to assist in identifying the individual aircraft and provide any historical detail, particularly with regard to the armament carried?

Kindest regards,
Kas
P-51-1-NA in Army livery. Pulled from NAA contract NA-91 for 150 Mustang IA. AAF pulled 58 for TAC, training and set two aside for XP-78 NA-101, later renamed XP-51B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back