Help needed : RAF Gunsight parts

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobolex

Airman
Feb 7, 2014
Hello, I received several parts that seem to come from RAF gunsights in a lot of optical parts bought in the UK.

One set of small parts is still bagged with the reference : 8776/1 V13933/170 TYPE 6 SIGHT MARK 3 - REFLECTOR and it contains a small (1,5 x 1,5 cm.) optical mirror with bevels.

Another set has a similar reference : 8762/20 V13933/157 TYPE 6 SIGHT MARK 3 - POLAROID DISC, which I haven't opened, but contains a small disc that is probable a polarizing filter.

Then two parts may come from the same set or maybe another sight, but they have no marks on them : one is a flip-out optical disc with a very fine etched cross-hair, while the other is a complex but tiny (4 x 3 x 2,5 cm) optical system built around a right-angle prism, a lens and a built-in flip out magnifying loupe operated by a lever.

I have found pictures for a "Type 6 Sight Mk II Gyro Rate Telescope", but that seems like a much larger apparatus, so I'm not sure it matches the first items. As for the latter 2, I can't even be sure they belong together. I looked a fair bit into RAF gunsights, but I know too little to know whether I was even looking in the right direction.

Any help identifying these would be great, and if somebody knows who they could be useful to, that would be great to, since I'd rather they go to a renovation project somewhere.

Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_2401 copy.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2402 copy.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2403 copy.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2404 copy.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2405 copy.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2406 copy.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2407 copy.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 142
  • s-l1600-1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 143
  • s-l1600.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 144
This thread is a year old, so I'll warm it up to see who may be able to help with the one... Anybody specialized in British gunsights ?

Did you mean : are they actually magnetized or are they made of a metal that reacts to magnet ?
I will check.

Sorry, badly worded question
Are they made of a metal that a magnet will stick to? Or are they aluminium or brass/bronze? You may have to remove a screw to see.
I ask because they do not look like any aircraft sight I have seen, not that this is by any means authoritive.
RAF aircraft gun sights tended to look like these
That one looks too bulky and solid to me

Attachments

• Gun Sights OCR..pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
Thanks for the document. I will look at it closely and compare with the parts I have.
Just to be clearer, I only have the spare parts, and I don't know if they match the boxed sight in the last 2 pictures, which are the only ones I could find of a "Type 6 sight", which indeed looks quite large (compared to my small spares).

Users who are viewing this thread