Help on ID of RAF insignia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hello all.

Today I was at a flea market just browsing. I walked up to a mans collection of military items from WWII and I was looking in the Free box ( :lol: ) When I came upon this.....

Is it authentic and what exactly is it?

Attachments

• 102_3953.JPG
    102_3953.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 205
Looks like a pilot's badge to me, Harrison. The prop mounted behind it might suggest a hat badge rather than the one pinned to the right breast of the pilot's uniform, but I could be wrong. If original, I suspect it may be from the 1920's or '30s.

He was a military collector and on the thing it was labeled 25 dollars I asked him if it was actually free or had it just fallen in and he said free take it.....

Caps badges from WW1 and WW2 respectively:

denny_officers_cap_1918_500.jpg

evans1.jpg

It is something that would be worn on a dress uniform, imho, and the person mounted it on a prop for display purposes.

Good find Milosh! so we're looking at a breast badge rather. I know the rank of Leading Aircraftsman (LAC) is indicated by a prop on the epilettes, so maybe this is in connection?

Hi Harrison. I think this is actually an ornamental badge or brooch, worn in the lapel of a civilian jacket, and may be a presentation badge. The single prop blade, denoting a Leading Aircraftman, is a silver-grey prop blade, in threads woven onto a RAF Blue patch, worn on the shoulder of the uniform sleeve, the RAF wings are not incorporated in this rank badge.
The one you have, which appears to be a silver, or nickel, metal prop, with gilded pilot's wings, bears the King's crown, making it pre- 1953.
It's possible that this is a ladies brooch, possibly signifying her husband is a member of RAF aircrew. If you can let me have the approximate dimensions, I'll check with my brother-in-law, and sister, as I'm fairly sure they'll know.

Hi Harrison. I think this is actually an ornamental badge or brooch, worn in the lapel of a civilian jacket, and may be a presentation badge. The single prop blade, denoting a Leading Aircraftman, is a silver-grey prop blade, in threads woven onto a RAF Blue patch, worn on the shoulder of the uniform sleeve, the RAF wings are not incorporated in this rank badge.
The one you have, which appears to be a silver, or nickel, metal prop, with gilded pilot's wings, bears the King's crown, making it pre- 1953.
It's possible that this is a ladies brooch, possibly signifying her husband is a member of RAF aircrew. If you can let me have the approximate dimensions, I'll check with my brother-in-law, and sister, as I'm fairly sure they'll know.

Sure what dimensions do you need? Length, height?

I don't think the item is from RAF uniform. During WWII, it was common for family members to wear items of jewellery or similar items to show that a loved one was serving. My uncle was an aircraft maintenance technician in WWII and my mum (his sister) still has a ring with RAF wings which he gave her to remember him by. It looks like some kind of broach, although it's hard to tell without seeing the clip on the back. The other alternative is that it's a tie clip (again, need to see the back of the piece to be certain). I've never seen any part of the RAF uniform that resembles the item in the photo, so I think my explanation that it's jewellery is the most likely answer.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Mark H (LKBS)

Thanks Harrison. The pic has confirmed what I thought of the dimensions, and I agree with the other guys. It's not part of Service Dress uniform, but a brooch or lapel bage, almost certainly the former, which would have been worn by the wife, mother or loved one of a serving, or possibly past, member of the RAF. The RAF person would have served before the Coronation of Queen Elisabeth II, that is, prior to 1953, and judging by the style, it is more likely to be from the period of the mid-1930's to WW2.
It may not have any intrinsic value as such, but well worth having as a collecors item.
Good find mate!

Thanks! Again, I found it free... hehe. I guess he didn't know what it was, or he just didn't fit his collection. Seeing he has a M1 Garand, Kar 98K bayonet, etc.

The 'insignia' is a broach worn by the ladies, usually wives of aircrew, at social gatherings. I have not seen one mounted on a propellor before.
The crown on the broach is a 'Kings Crown', which means that it pre-dates Queen Elizabeth. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing which king. However, since a two bladed propellor is used, it may well be from the Thirties.

Just a thought but are the wings genuine? I am not familiar with RAF wings but they look about the same size as my father's naval (FAA) wings, I mean the badge presented, not the "patch" sewn onto the uniform. Unfortunately I don't have it to hand and haven't seen it recently. I have a photo of the presentation but can't see much in the presenting officer's hand! Somebody may have had the wings converted into a broach or lapel pin in memory of the person that they originally belonged to.
Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back