Help with B-17g markings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LoboPaintStudio

Recruit
Sep 17, 2024
Hi guy, total newbie here! I am a professional miniature painter and recently got a commission to paint a model kit for a B17g. I want it to be accurate and I'm hoping someone here can help regarding the markings that cannot be seen in the photograph.

I believe the plane would be silver in color due to the time-frame (December 23rd 1944 over Homburg Germany). Would there be other markings I cannot make out due to the shadows? If so, what would they be and what color?

Would the numbers and the "W" be the same on the port side of the plane? And what markings (if any) would be on the starboard wing?

I've tried to research myself but I simply have run out of know-how and I'm hoping for as much info as I can get. Acuracy is very important for this commission. Thanks!

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    554.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 1
B-17G 43-37800 (H8*S) was part of the 486th Bomb Group, 835th Bomb Squadron.
The Official 486th Heavy Bombardment Group ,
Association

I believe the plane would be silver in color due to the time-frame (December 23rd 1944 over Homburg Germany). Would there be other markings I cannot make out due to the shadows? If so, what would they be and what color? It was Natural Metal Finish, not painted Silver.

Would the numbers and the "W" be the same on the port side of the plane? And what markings (if any) would be on the starboard wing?
Yes the "W" and serial number would be on the port side as well. The starboard wing would have the Star & Bar on the lower side of the wing.

Would look like this, 3R:194:N

sm12rgx58n861.jpg

Last edited:
B-17G 43-37800 (H8*S) was part of the 486th Bomb Group, 835th Bomb Squadron. The Official 486th Heavy Bombardment Group

I believe the plane would be silver in color due to the time-frame (December 23rd 1944 over Homburg Germany). Would there be other markings I cannot make out due to the shadows? If so, what would they be and what color? It was Natural Metal Finish, not painted Silver.

Yes the "W" and serial number would be on the port side as well. The starboard wing would have the Star & Bar on the lower side of the wing.
Thanks you for the information, very helpfull. Calling it silver is a consequence of thinking like an artist and what colors I'll be using.

I agree on all the three answers. However I'm not sure if there should be also the black square with the "W" letter on the top of the starboard wing. Unfortunately I didn't find any shots of the 835th Bomb Squadron B-17 showing the part of their bombers .

B-17G-Fortress-8AF-486BG835BS-H8H_.jpg

43-37949 H8-B.jpg

H8-G835BS.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Hi guy, total newbie here! I am a professional miniature painter and recently got a commission to paint a model kit for a B17g. I want it to be accurate and I'm hoping someone here can help regarding the markings that cannot be seen in the photograph.

I believe the plane would be silver in color due to the time-frame (December 23rd 1944 over Homburg Germany). Would there be other markings I cannot make out due to the shadows? If so, what would they be and what color?

I've tried to research myself but I simply have run out of know-how and I'm hoping for as much info as I can get. Acuracy is very important for this commission. Thanks!

I agree on all the three answers. However I'm not sure if there should be also the black square with the "W" letter on the top of the starboard wing. Unfortunately I didn't find any shots of the 835th Bomb Squadron B-17 showing the part of their bombers .

the pic source: the net.
Yep, 832nd in flight

1726621131196.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back