Help with RAF WW2 service record

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dollyblue1

Recruit
Sep 23, 2024
Hello

I have just received my uncles service record from MOD. He has recently passed away at the age of 99, he never spoke about his time in the RAF but I am trying to find out some information for my Auntie. Could anyone have a look and see if they can decifer anything, I've no clue! Thank you so much.

Attachments

• 13C7AA1C-7E1A-4583-A69F-172D531445E7.jpeg
    13C7AA1C-7E1A-4583-A69F-172D531445E7.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 7
It's a bit small to read but I see No.1 (Observer) AFU; 83 Group Support Unit and Warmwell. The latter in particular is interesting because around that time (1943) Warmwell was operating Whirlwinds (the twin-engined awesome machine, not the helicopter of the same name).

And he seems to have been an MT driver. My dad was also an MT driver, in his case ferrying bombs for various Group Support Units.

That looks like the same scan as attached in post #1...

It's a bit small to read but I see No.1 (Observer) AFU; 83 Group Support Unit and Warmwell. The latter in particular is interesting because around that time (1943) Warmwell was operating Whirlwinds (the twin-engined awesome machine, not the helicopter of the same name).

And he seems to have been an MT driver. My dad was also an MT driver, in his case ferrying bombs for various Group Support Units.

Usually personal statements; conduct etc. In the 'postings' column I've seen this before and it may be a similar thing: posting to RSDR Colchester for example would be a punishment move. However there may be other reasons (hospital, health etc).

Could you post a larger scan? I may be able to fill in some other detail for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back