Help with Testors color (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Army14Bravo

Airman
Jul 9, 2022
Guys
I am having a major problem. I am in the process of building an old Matchbox 1/32 scale SBD. I intended to finish this in late 1940 overall Testors FS36495 Light gray. I have one bottle. There is quite a lot of surface on this finished model to paint (airbrush). Plus, I have a Tamiya 1/48 SBD and F4F that I was going to finish with the same paint.
Problem is, I can't find this paint anywhere. Most people that had it don't have it any more. Anyone have any idea where I could get two more bottles. That would do the job.
I really appreciate any help.
Cheers
14B
PS I'm in Oklahoma

Guys
I am having a major problem. I am in the process of building an old Matchbox 1/32 scale SBD. I intended to finish this in late 1940 overall Testors FS36495 Light gray. I have one bottle. There is quite a lot of surface on this finished model to paint (airbrush). Plus, I have a Tamiya 1/48 SBD and F4F that I was going to finish with the same paint.
Problem is, I can't find this paint anywhere. Most people that had it don't have it any more. Anyone have any idea where I could get two more bottles. That would do the job.
I really appreciate any help.
Cheers
14B
PS I'm in Oklahoma
Would not FS36495 be the same color across manufacturer lines? There are offerings for this by Model Master, Mr. Color, and others. Or are you insistent on using Testors? Many are Acrylic, but one from Hobbytown is enamel. See link Testors MM FS36495 1/2oz Light Gray [TES1732]

Yes Ralph .. you are right . Therfore I have asked abou the additional data for the colour. Also I think the the Model Master is the same coat, A14B needs.
I have the same link you posted above ..

Judging their addresses there shouldn't be a trouble to purchase ..

Yes Ralph .. you are right . Therfore I have asked abou the additional data for the colour. Also I think the the Model Master is the same coat needed.
I have the same link you posted above ..

Judging their addresses there shouldn't be a trouble to purchase ..

The only problem with the Model Master paint is that one must buy from the store in person. Being in OK there are Hobbytowns in some of the major cities there (Tulsa, Norman and Edmond).

I see. But there are phone numbers and it may be worth to call them and check on the possible buying ways. But , of course it is always possibe to switch to another kind of colours. There is really a number of brands to use.

Attd is a color cross ref chart for the Fed Std colors. It's a bit out of date and whoever put this together didn't have the foresight to list the FS#'s in numerical sequence. Nevertheless, FS36495 is shown about halfway down and there are a couple of options from other paint manufacturers. Gray is also easy make so you may want to find some MM black and white and go from there.

Attachments

• FEDERAL STANDARD CONVERSION CHART.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 32
Showing some stock here....

Acrylic sucks, but one shown here in FS36495

Testor's Model Master line of enamels disappeared from the market after rustoleum bought the manufacturer. Four years ago? But i'm not exactly sure of timeline. Some stock for limited colors is sometimes available on evilbay, but its tough to guess which paints will be available. Acrylics are ok, unless you're masking. They just don't have the adhesion of enamels.

Hobby Town here closed down and then was re-opened but when I was in there recently I was very disappointed. No selection of paints worth mentioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back