Hi-alt.german bomber used in N.Africa (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I can't remember what thread it was but there was a short discussion about the service ceiling of aircraft. Well, in the RAF during World War 2 'service ceiling' was the height at which the aircraft would climb less than 100 feet per minute.

The Spitfire PR.XIX had a 'service ceiling' of 42, 600 feet but it could fly far beyond that - sometimes recorded heights up to 55,000 feet while spying over China.

Since the Spitfire VI and VII were reported as intercepting Ju-86 aircraft at 45,000 - 50,000 feet - the Ju-86 was obviously flying at those altitudes.

plan_D said:
I can't remember what thread it was but there was a short discussion about the service ceiling of aircraft. Well, in the RAF during World War 2 'service ceiling' was the height at which the aircraft would climb less than 100 feet per minute.

The Spitfire PR.XIX had a 'service ceiling' of 42, 600 feet but it could fly far beyond that - sometimes recorded heights up to 55,000 feet while spying over China.

Since the Spitfire VI and VII were reported as intercepting Ju-86 aircraft at 45,000 - 50,000 feet - the Ju-86 was obviously flying at those altitudes.

I would agree with you. I dont see why either plane could not go higher than posted in there stats. Plus people have to realize a lot of the stats that are posted are form the manuals and they never post anything beyond the safe limit.

MY god I though I was joking, but look what I found! :shock:

Attachments

• fieseler_fi-156_923.jpg
    fieseler_fi-156_923.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 651
I mean look at this - Italian infantry GAINING ground in Russia :shock:

Attachments

• italian_infantry_gaining_ground_in_russia_110.jpg
    italian_infantry_gaining_ground_in_russia_110.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 623

Users who are viewing this thread

Back