Honet Deck Load for the Doolittle Raid (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pinehilljoe

Senior Airman
May 1, 2016
I saw this photo, I do not know if it's real or created. From this photo its hard to imagine the deck load spotting for the take off. Has anyone seen an aerial photo of Hornet with the B-25s spotted ready to take off?

Attachments

• Hornet.jpg
    Hornet.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2
I saw this photo, I do not know if it's real or created. From this photo its hard to imagine the deck load spotting for the take off. Has anyone seen an aerial photo of Hornet with the B-25s spotted ready to take off?
Plenty of photos of her deck on Navsource.

During the trip to Japan some of her air group found their way to the flight deck at times - F4F forward, SBD aft amongst the B-25. The flight deck was respotted, probably the day before the launch, to move the B-25 as far aft as possible to increase the take off run of the foremost B-25s.

Note that there originally were supposed to be only 15 B-25's on the raid. The 16th was a "spare" that Doolittle demanded to be loaded along with its two pilots after they followed the rest across the country without authorization. They formed a crew with spare personnel and that was the B-25 that diverted to Russia.
8 NAA B-25B Dolittle Raid 1942 (1).jpg
6 g41194.jpg
5 B25-Photo1-500x479.jpg
4 NAA B-25B Dolittle Raid 1942.jpg
2 Doolittle-raid.jpg
1-battle_doolittle64_zps2f4c95d4.jpg
1 Marc_A._Mitscher_and_James_Doolittle.jpg
B-25sHornet.jpg

Attachments

• 9 NAA-B-25B-Mitchell-USS-Hornet-18-April-1942.jpg
    9 NAA-B-25B-Mitchell-USS-Hornet-18-April-1942.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 1
Plenty of photos of her deck on Navsource.

During the trip to Japan some of her air group found their way to the flight deck at times - F4F forward, SBD aft amongst the B-25. The flight deck was respotted, probably the day before the launch, to move the B-25 as far aft as possible to increase the take off run of the foremost B-25s.
All B-25s had to taxi forward to a certain point at the island, which was the tightest spot on the deck, for takeoff. All B-25s had the same takeoff run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back