How could a ww2 US bomber pilot get a rank promotion?

WW2 us promotions

• how

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • promotions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cpt. John

Airman
May 4, 2017
Hello guys, how many mission would a ww2 U.S. bomber pilot fly to get promoted?Or how could he get promoted?

Sometimes, sadly, because he was simply "the next man up" when his mates didn't make it back. Or a right stick becoming a command pilot. Other times there were fast burners due to merit as excellence was recognized. Some occurred as others rotated back to the States or vacancies from promotions occurring ahead and having to backfill. There were many ways to get that promotion.

Today, "dead man's shoes" promotion is synonymous with a slow crawl up the seniority ladder. During wartime, it can result in squadron commanders in their mid-20s. Soulezoo has answered the question pretty comprehensively - some displayed strong tactical and operational leadership, some had a senior mentor who helped them up the ladder and some were simply alive longer than their peers.

There are just too many variables to answer this question. USAAF aircrew sent to the Pacific in early '42 often found that their more inexperienced replacements outranked them, these having benefitted from the effects of rapid stateside promotions to fill out new combat units, while those at the front were effectively frozen in rank.

Case in point - My father was a Captain when he flew his first combat mission on D-Day June 6, and flew as #4 in trailing flight - true 'tail end Charlie'. In two weeks he was promoted to element leader.

In three weeks he was promoted to Flight Leader. In four weeks he was 354FS Squadron Operations Officer. For the next six weeks he often led the 354FS and twice led the 355FG. In 8 weeks he was 354FS Commanding Officer (July 30, 1944). On August 6 he became the 355th FG 'fastest Ace' from first day of combat. On August 28, he was promoted to Major. On August 28, he was both 354FS CO and Acting 355th FG Deputy Group CO, when Kinnard departed for 4th FG. On October 23, 1944 he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel while 355FG Deputy Commander.

Captain to Lieutenant Colonel in seven weeks. Attrition/vacancies, skill, leadership all played a role.

Bravo! Heady times indeed!
Interesting Note Biff. Your Avatar is Clay Kinnard's QPA Man O'War (in modern livery).

Kinnard went to Vanderbilt, played Tackle, was an SAE, joined the AAF three years after graduation in 1939.. dad went to Vanderbilt, was a Collier's All American tailback, was an SAE and joined AAF immediately after graduation in 1940.

Kinnard joined 355th as 354FS CO in Nov 1943, Dad in June 1944. Kinnard went from 354FS CO to 355FG Acting Deputy CO on June 12. Dad became 354FS CO on July 30, 1944 and Acting Deputy Group CO on September 8 when Kinnard transferred to 4th FG September 8 as Acting Deputy CO to position for Blakeslee departure. When Kinnard came back to 355FG as CO he persuaded dad not to take command position at 479th when he returned from US Leave - which he did. For first several combat missions upon return in February 1945, dad flew Kinnard's wing for a very top heavy Red Flight. Kinnard was nearly deaf at that time and wanted someone he Really trusted covering his wing the first week back on combat ops.. When Kinnard went home, dad became 355th CO.

Claiborne Holmes Kinnard, Jr. was my Godfather. They were best friends until Kinnard passed from brain tumor. Given studies on microwave and high frequency relationships to cancer, one can only speculate on the link between Kinnard's boosted radio volume to offset his growing deafness to his passing 20 years later.

Hello guys, how many mission would a ww2 U.S. bomber pilot fly to get promoted?Or how could he get promoted?

" In March 1941 at age 32, he reported for duty as Private James Stewart at Fort McArthur and was assigned to the
Army Air Corps at Moffett Field. To comply with the regulations of the Air Corps proficiency
board, Stewart required additional 100 flying hours and bought them at a nearby field, at his
own expense. He then took and passed a very stiff proficiency board examination.

In January 1942 Stewart was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant. He was then sent to Mather
Field in California as a four engine instructor, this included both the B-17 and B-24 heavy
bombers. Much to his dismay, Stewart stayed stateside for almost two years working as a flight
instructor, until commanding officers finally yielded to his request to be sent overseas.
In November 1943, now a Captain and Operations Officer for the 703rd Bomb Squadron, 445th
Bombardment Group of the Eighth Air Force, he arrived in Tibenham, England. In March of
1944 he was transferred to the 453rd Bombardment Group at Old Buckenham (Old Buc).
Throughout his combat career, Stewart flew as lead pilot in B-24 Liberators.

Stewart's war record included 20 combat missions as command pilot over enemy territory,
including raids deep into Germany to Berlin. He didn't fly the milk runs, and his missions
included bombing raids to Berlin, Brunswick, Bremen, Frankfurt, and Schweinfurt. His most
memorable mission, Stewart served as the flight leader of a 1000 plain raid to Berlin. He was
awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with two Oak Leaf Clusters, the Air Medal with three
Oak Leaf Clusters, and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm.

By the end of the war he had risen to the rank of Colonel. After the war he remained with the
US Air Force Reserves and was eventually promoted to Brigadier General in 1959."

James "Jimmy" Maitland Stewart: WWII Bomber Pilot

Bill,
Very cool tie in to history there! Between your father, his friends, acquaintances and experiences you had a front row seat to the History Channel Live. It is awesome to me you realized you were walking among giants and were savvy enough to gather the history up. That was a unique time in both aviation and world history, probably never to be repeated, and handled so well at so many levels!
Cheers,
Biff

Case in point - My father was a Captain when he flew his first combat mission on D-Day June 6, and flew as #4 in trailing flight - true 'tail end Charlie'. In two weeks he was promoted to element leader.

*SNIP*

A toast Bill, to honor and commemorate your fathers first mission on a rather historic day, and to all those that took part 73 years ago today to free the world from tyranny.

My father and two of his brothers (my uncles obviously) were probably within several miles of your dad that day. Sadly, they are all gone now as well.

Last edited:
Bill,

I believe this saying came about after WW2, however it's a nod to fighter pilots, and in my opine the Greatest Generation, both clubs of which your father was a member.

"So here's a nickel on the grass to you, my friend, and your spirit, enthusiasm, sacrifice and courage – but most of all to your friendship. Your's is a dying breed and when you are gone, the world will be a lesser place."

Cheers,
Biff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back