How to bail out from a bomber (B-24)?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The access to the nose wheel compartment is under, and back of the navigator's table, I don't see how anyone could step on the nose wheel doors by accident.
You had to crawl under that table to get out.
Maybe every model of the B-24 doesn't have the same internal layout.

Could that forward escape be used if the nose wheel was down ?
If you have ever seen a shot of the nose wheel retracted, you would have to go out of your way to get under it to the doors. I do know there was a quick release for the nose gear that would jettison the entire system and clear it for use for bailing out.

If you have ever seen a shot of the nose wheel retracted, you would have to go out of your way to get under it to the doors. I do know there was a quick release for the nose gear that would jettison the entire system and clear it for use for bailing out.
:-k I've never heard of that - do you have a reference? Maybe Gary (GEEDEE) has some information, he flies on "Witchcraft."

I've never heard of that - do you have a reference? Maybe Gary (GEEDEE) has some information, he flies on "Witchcraft."

EDIT - I just went through the B-24D this is all that's mentioned;

1618194725808.png

1618194916202.png

1618195079816.png

1618195111103.png

That diagram also shows a exit through what I think is the dome for the navigator to take sightings from.
I wonder what your chances are getting by the propellers in one piece if you used that exit in flight ?

Pretty sure it was in Wings/Airpower around Jan 1977.

I recall that in the same article the author said that they got B-24's with big bubbles in the side windows. I guess that was done to aid the ASW aircraft visual search but it really screwed things up when trying to fly formation so they replaced them with flat Plexiglas panels.

I remember an article with both the things you mentioned. But was it as late as 1977? My memory is that it was in Air Classics in the late 60s. Anyway, it was a good article. The author had a sense of literary style well above the typical old flier writing of his experiences — or maybe just a skillful editor! It made such an impression I can still remember (or think I remember) some other stuff in the article.

1. The mission that forms the centerpiece of the article started with a bad omen. Their squadron mascot was running playfully beside one of the B-24s when a low spot on the taxiway caused a wing to dip. The dog was instantly cut to pieces by a propeller.

2. Approaching the target, the lead ship got a hit that released its bombs. The other bombardiers toggled on the lead ship's release and therefore everyone missed badly.

3. There was a vicious crosswind when they returned to their base in Italy. It seemed like they were crabbing 45 degrees on final approach! Nevertheless, all ships got down safely.

4. Bailing out was hard for the pilots. It was common to count chutes from a B-24 going down and come up two short. You had to lift your legs over the center pedestal to get out of the seat. Doing that at the same time as the other pilot, in a gyrating ship, could be nearly impossible.

I read that on the B-24 the nosewheel doors were spring loaded and free swinging. The nosewheel simply pushed the doors open when going down and up. The crew in the nose compartment had to be careful where they stepped; the nosegear doors were effectively a trap door. One B-24 pilot described a formation flight in which one airplane's nose gunner had relaxed by laying atop the doors, his parachute for a pillow. He fell through the doors, followed by the magazine he had planned to read - and his parachute.

I too recall the story of the guy falling out after lying down atop the nose doors to relax and read. I think it was this issue of Air Classics because I recall the magazine compared the article to "Serenade to the Big Bird."

Air Classics vol. 5 no. 4

No, while that one looks familiar I don't think that was it. I am pretty sure it was this one, Wings 1978, "A First hand Account From Inside The Cockpit." That fits. It was winter and we drove down to Carswell AFB and there was an ice storm, so Jan/Feb 1978 would fit. I probably still have that issue.

WingsFeb78.jpg

I remember a similar story but I think it was in the old Aero Publishing B-24 Liberator by Steve Birdsall. I'll have a look when I get home tonight.
Also There is a difference between the way the gear doors worked in the greenhouse nosed and the turret nosed B-24's. In the earlier ones the doors were retracted into the fuselage. When they went to the turret nose the doors were made to open out to make more room in the crowded nose. The only exception to this is some B-24D's in the Pacific that started out with the glass nose and had Consolidated tail turrets installed in the nose at modification centers .

Last edited:
I read that on the B-24 the nosewheel doors were spring loaded and free swinging. The nosewheel simply pushed the doors open when going down and up. The crew in the nose compartment had to be careful where they stepped; the nosegear doors were effectively a trap door. One B-24 pilot described a formation flight in which one airplane's nose gunner had relaxed by laying atop the doors, his parachute for a pillow. He fell through the doors, followed by the magazine he had planned to read - and his parachute.

Interesting, I read about crew bailing out of a B-24 called Hot Rocks, and the forward guys slammed ammo boxes down on the nose wheel doors so they could get out. Maybe it was dramatized...

Well, it has already been mentioned that the B-24D had a mechanical linkage to open the NLG doors therefore it must have been the turret equipped B-24J that used the "saloon door" on the NLG, presumably to keep things simpler and accommodate the turret. So what applied to one model of the B-24 did not necessarily apply to all of them.

Now, while it was possible fall out of the B-24J NLG doors without your parachute on if you were not careful, was it possible to attach a parachute and jump out? I do not know.

Well, it has already been mentioned that the B-24D had a mechanical linkage to open the NLG doors therefore it must have been the turret equipped B-24J that used the "saloon door" on the NLG, presumably to keep things simpler and accommodate the turret. So what applied to one model of the B-24 did not necessarily apply to all of them.

Now, while it was possible fall out of the B-24J NLG doors without your parachute on if you were not careful, was it possible to attach a parachute and jump out? I do not know.

Is this before or after you jettison the NLG assembly? :lol:

To be honest, I have only been aboard B-24s parked on the ramp. From what I have seen, there wasn't much room in the gear bay, BUT - this was with the gear extended.
Aparently, the gear retracts in an "arc" which would allow a bit more room than it appears.

Here is another page from the B-24 manual.

Note that they have to pull a couple of red levers to enable the NLG hatch to be used for a bail out. I assume that they had added a safety feature to prevent people from falling out the NLG doors. The manual also says that no people should be in the nose compartment while the NLG is being raised.
B-24 Manual Part 6P1111.jpg

Not exactly on topic, I have a photo of sky diver Jim Huston in the nose wheel well of B-29 Fifi just as he jumped for his 1000th dive. His goal was to jump from as many different aircraft models as possible. I was able to photograph his exit from a BT-13 the day before the B-29 jump. It was his 999th jump and he wanted the B-29 jump to be his 1000th. Since no one had made a civilian skydive from a B-29, the FAA and Jim had to work out the paper work and egress position. The decision was with the nose gear down he would have plenty of room to leave. This also set FAA precedent for jumping from a B-29 for "fun" but as far as I know, no one else has done it.

A condition for the USAF allowing the CAF to put tat B-29 into flying condition was that the structure in the bomb bay be cut away to ensure that it could not carry bombs.

Sounds incredible, but there were people in DoS who were afraid someone would use the B-29 in bombing attacks and thus destabilize some countries by changing the local balance of power. "Oh no! Uruguay has a long range heavy bomber! Everyone in South America will want one now!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back