HQ/high res images of XP-51F or G (AKA, Mustang V) in RAF colors?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
I'm trying to see/figure out if such images exist. It's known that the RAE did evaluate examples of both aircraft at Boscombe Down late in the war, but I don't know if any photos were taken of them aside from what was shown in a Key Aero article (and those are basically regular size images). I did send an inquiry to IWM, but I'm not expecting to hear from them until tomorrow at the earliest.

I wonder if anyone here could maybe be of help or point me in the right direction?

I'm trying to see/figure out if such images exist. It's known that the RAE did evaluate examples of both aircraft at Boscombe Down late in the war, but I don't know if any photos were taken of them aside from what was shown in a Key Aero article (and those are basically regular size images). I did send an inquiry to IWM, but I'm not expecting to hear from them until tomorrow at the earliest.

I wonder if anyone here could maybe be of help or point me in the right direction?
You probably have seen these already, but if not, they do show some good modeling details and camouflage demarcations; as you have discovered, not a Mustang variant that was captured in very many photos. I have been slowly working on a 1/72 model of FR409, using a P-51D and P-51H kit, and some very nice factory drawings given to me by the great Mustang authority, Charles Neely. Too bad the incredible P-51 Mustang SIG website is no longer with us! It is a beautiful airplane in RAF camouflage or bare metal, as I have seen in one period photo. Good luck with your quest, as it seems the same half dozen photos are about all there is out there, from what I have been able to find.
Mike

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94370243@N02/13277468293/in/photostream/

Note the unusual demarcation between the upper and lower colors aft of the wing, as seen in this photo- hopefully a better image:

Well if you can share the drawings/illustrations, I'd be pleased to see them. A couple of people here also might be interested as they're writing a book covering the development of the Mustang from the P-51D though the lightweights, P-51H and the XP-82/P-82B. Though they also may've had access to similar illustrations.

San Diego Air and Space Museum has images that North American took of their XP-51F/G/J (as well the XP-51B, XP-51D, some P-51Hs and XP-82, P-82B and the Allison powered F-82s) that you can buy in HQ either digital or prints.

From an ascetic standpoint, I'd think that a blend of the XP-51F/G, P-51D and P-51H would've made the ultimate Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back