Hurricane IIc, 135 Sq. RAF, August 1944, mirror style

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hamiltonian

Airman
Feb 17, 2014
I'm just getting into building a "reconstruction" of a specific Hurricane IIc, LB545, which flew out of Minneriya with 135 Sq. RAF in late 1944, before they converted to Thunderbolts.
I say "reconstruction" because this period in 135's history seems to be rather poorly documented and illustrated. So in terms of markings and equipment I'm piecing together what seems plausible for this aircraft, in this location, with this squadron, at this time.
I'm using a 1:48 Hasegawa kit, which presents me with a choice of rear-view mirror - round or rectangular - which has me stymied. Is it possible to deduce which mirror is the more likely fitting for this aircraft?

Hard to see the rectangular mirror and the serial numbers are close if that's any help. I'll see what else I can find.

135sq.JPG

The caption says, "aircraft heading to the Middle and Far East"

Geo

Thanks for this.
Gad, 135 fidgeted about with their markings. Between 1942 and 1945, they seem to have dropped and then reintroduced their squadron letters, and switched the position of the aircraft letters back and forth relative to the roundels. And those letters in your second photo look like they may be white instead of sky, some time between the adoption of the SEAC roundel and the arrival of the SEAC stripes, which puts them pretty much in my time-frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back