Hypothetical battle: P40 Q2 VS P51K

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm going to mention just one thing and then stay away from these fantasy comparisons forever. Comparing aircraft specifications is nice armchair pastime but as each person accurately mentions factors that weigh on the outcome of a combat it is senseless to say "with comparable pilots, which is better," simply because the myriad of variables such as initial placement of combatants, altitude, speed, visibility and so much more. When it comes down to a pilot choosing to do one thing instead of another and the opponent reacting in one way instead of another- all moves being logical- it just doesn't prove anything. There's simply too many factors you all are dropping in to prove some obscure point without substantiation.

Sorry but it's too much of taking the dynamics of air combat and putting them in a vacuum. This ain't meant to dicourage anyone and is meant for no one person. Just something to think about. Hey don't kill me....

Twitch said:
Sorry but it's too much of taking the dynamics of air combat and putting them in a vacuum. This ain't meant to dicourage anyone and is meant for no one person. Just something to think about. Hey don't kill me....
This has been mentioned in some earlier posts when thse comparisons are done - it even includes when some try to throw in expeciences while flying PC simulators and making comparisons based on that!!! :rolleyes:

I apologize for being overly harsh on this. Being an ex- flight sim jockey I certainly enjoyed the "what if" scenarios as much as the next guy. I think everyone should kick around as much as possible about the planes, the pilots and the combats. Hey it's better than watching some dumb sports on TV.

Twitch said:
I apologize for being overly harsh on this. Being an ex- flight sim jockey I certainly enjoyed the "what if" scenarios as much as the next guy. I think everyone should kick around as much as possible about the planes, the pilots and the combats. Hey it's better than watching some dumb sports on TV.

Agree - I kill Migs while my wife watches American Idol! ;)

thing is though there's not a great deal more that we can do than looking at stats to compare planes, pilots accounts are hard to come by and will often show bias, i agree that comparing stats will not give definate winner but it's about as close as we're gonna get.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back