I-16 Type 24 in 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
As I had mentioned in the GB53 I-16 Type 24 finished thread, I was co-building this ICM 1/72 of the same I-16 type 24 while waiting for the paints to come in for the 1/48 entry. Now that it is submitted I'll try and get his one finished. Working on this I had to think of Bill and Donivanp and their 'love' of building kits sized like this. Admittedly may hands are a bit larger that 'normal' but this is one small model!

I-16 1-72.jpg

What is amazing is the amount of detail and features that are on a kit this size. I wish that the GB53 1/48 had such! Not shown, now buried by the engine cowlings, is the amount of detail that is on the engine itself. Little tiny exhaust pipes, which I never could get to align with the cowling openings, were left off. I think I'll cut them off and attach from the front side?

I-16 1-72  parts.jpg

Hoping there will be little seam issues when I start adding the wings and other parts.

Finally got around to getting this finished. Here are some photos. Apologies though, shot with my smart phone, and not to carefully, so some are a bit 'wonky'.

Had some fit issues, which may be apparent. Since this was just a quick 'fun' build I did not futz with it as I should have. But it will tuck quite nicely on the shelf under the protection of its big 1/48 brother.

I-16 1-72 PORT.jpg
I-16 PORT R.jpg
I-16 Starboard R.jpg
I-16 Starboard.jpg
I-16 FRONT.jpg
I-16 REAR.jpg

And the I-16 1/48 GB53 build to compare to.

port view compare.jpg

TOP view compare.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back