I have always been fascinated by WW2 Reconnaissance photos!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
Does anyone have a good book suggestion for reading about the ins and outs of both the taking of the photos, such as bomb damage assessment, and the interpretation of those photos?

Some of the books I have...

recon.PNG

recon1.PNG

recon2.PNG

....and here's a how to manual.

Attachments

• Aerial Photography 1941.pdf
    13 MB · Views: 118
Does anyone have a good book suggestion for reading about the ins and outs of both the taking of the photos, such as bomb damage assessment, and the interpretation of those photos?
Here are two that I have that I thought were good:
To Fool a Glass Eye - Camouflage versus Photoreconnaissance in World War II - Roy M. Stanley ISBN 1-56098-568-2
World War II Photo Intelligence - Roy M. Stanley ISBN 0-684-17016-7

Roy was with the Defense Mapping Agency at the end of his Air Force career. His last job was to run the program that sorted through millions of recon photos the were slated for silver recovery (aka: destruction) to make certain that any historically important images were saved at the National Archives. You may remember the concentration camp pix that he discovered a few decades back. Hi books were both well done looks into a rarely discussed topic.

Cheers,

Dana

Roy was with the Defense Mapping Agency at the end of his Air Force career. His last job was to run the program that sorted through millions of recon photos the were slated for silver recovery (aka: destruction) to make certain that any historically important images were saved at the National Archives. You may remember the concentration camp pix that he discovered a few decades back. Hi books were both well done looks into a rarely discussed topic.

Cheers,

Dana
I do recall something about the concentration camp pics! Thanks I will take a peek and see if I can get copies locally!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back