I need info on this Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

grampi

Senior Airman
Aug 22, 2013
P51 Mustang, a photo from California, West | TrekEarth

Do any of you know anything about this particular Mustang? I would like to build a model based on this P-51. I'd like to find as many pics, and as much info on this plane as possible. Mustang models have been done to death, especially combat versions, but I've never seen anyone do one based on a version like this. I think it would be different enough to make the model interesting...oh, and if there are any model builders in here, please chime in. I have some questions for you...thanks!

Awesome pics! Thanks! Does anyone know where I might be able to find some history on this particular plane? Tell me something, this looks like a "D" model, but it looks like it has the vertical stab/rudder of an "H" model. All of the "D" models I've ever seen have a shorter and wider VS/R...is this a different version of the "D" model? I'm also surprised this one doesn't have metal skinned control surfaces on the tail as it appears to be a later "D" model based on the non-cuffed, blunt tip prop...

Last edited:
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

I don't think it saw military service

Geo

Last edited:
Awesome pics! Thanks! Does anyone know where I might be able to find some history on this particular plane? Tell me something, this looks like a "D" model, but it looks like it has the vertical stab/rudder of an "H" model. All of the "D" models I've ever seen have a shorter and wider VS/R...is this a different version of the "D" model? I'm also surprised this one doesn't have metal skinned control surfaces on the tail as it appears to be a later "D" model based on the non-cuffed, blunt tip prop...

Grampi,

I think it has had the vertical tail modified to H standards.

Cheers,
Biff

44-84864 to NACA in Sept 1945 as a test vehicle for a variety of projects. One was to install the P-51H rudder 'cap' on the P-51D vert stabilizer. At NACA it was identified as NACA 126. It is pretty rare as it is one of the few 'originals' not built up after a major crash

It is a P-51D-25-NT produced in Dallas - long after the various rudder mods were tested, including P-51D-5-NA 44-13253 and 257 and long after the mod was applied on XP-51G prior to P-51H development.

If you wish to model it in original condition, it should have the NACA logo tail band with "NACA126" directly below the tail band. If pre 1947 condition the Star/Bar will be WWII style, post 1947 it will have USAF red line in the 'bar',,, and it will Not be polished aluminum - just NMF on fuselage and silver paint on the wings.

44-84864 to NACA in Sept 1945 as a test vehicle for a variety of projects. One was to install the P-51H rudder 'cap' on the P-51D vert stabilizer. At NACA it was identified as NACA 126. It is pretty rare as it is one of the few 'originals' not built up after a major crash

It is a P-51D-25-NT produced in Dallas - long after the various rudder mods were tested, including P-51D-5-NA 44-13253 and 257 and long after the mod was applied on XP-51G prior to P-51H development.

If you wish to model it in original condition, it should have the NACA logo tail band with "NACA126" directly below the tail band. If pre 1947 condition the Star/Bar will be WWII style, post 1947 it will have USAF red line in the 'bar',,, and it will Not be polished aluminum - just NMF on fuselage and silver paint on the wings.

I will be doing the polished version...

This airplane has recently moved to Livermore California, along with the family Bearcat, and H model project. Go to mustangsmustangs.com OR 44-84864 mustangsmustangs.com cut and paste this directly in to google. There are great photos listed on this site.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back