Identification - WWII USN Torpedo Bomber?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

teddy1066

Recruit
Jul 4, 2020
A friend's grandfather is one of the pilots in this photo. He was a US naval aviator in WWII and was shot down and a Japanese POW in the Phillipines until liberation.

My best guess is that these are US Navy torpedo bombers, possibly Douglas Devastators? Would love to know for certain what planes these are.

Thanks and a happy Fourth to you all!

Ted

Attachments

• 42911230-50F1-42C5-A38E-0E9730B109BC.jpeg
    42911230-50F1-42C5-A38E-0E9730B109BC.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 283
  • BE9E6A88-D458-4E31-8AD3-37BAB9176835.jpeg
    BE9E6A88-D458-4E31-8AD3-37BAB9176835.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 301
A friend's grandfather is one of the pilots in this photo. He was a US naval aviator in WWII and was shot down and a Japanese POW in the Phillipines until liberation.

My best guess is that these are US Navy torpedo bombers, possibly Douglas Devastators? Would love to know for certain what planes these are.

Ted
These are North American SNJ-3s. SNJ-4s would look similar, but the rear monocoque of the fuselage would be plywood and not shiny.

Ted
Macharvard is correct, these are US Navy North American SNJ-3 advanced trainers. Though not a catchy name, SNJ stands for Scout-Trainer (SN) North American (J).

Come on guys, the're AT 6 Texans, the Navy designation was SJN Harvard . Thats an advanced trainer for the unwashed.

It's an AT-6. Naval designation SNJ. It was a trainer and was not called a Harvard by the Americans, but by the British.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back