identify please

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apr 22, 2019
can anyone identify the aircraft this came from , I bought it from a newark aero jumble and would like to find the instrument missing from the hole !

20211029_185948.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suspect it's from a C-47, or B-17 or B-24, based on the switch plate engraving and the fuse block label engraving. With some good cleanings, you might find a readable part number of the back side somewhere, or on one of the switches.

I'd suspect it's from a C-47, or B-17 or B-24, based on the switch plate engraving and the fuse block label engraving. With some good cleanings, you might find a readable part number of the back side somewhere, or on one of the switches.
thanks for that I will have a good look tomorrow

can anyone identify the aircraft this came from , I bought it from a newark aero jumble and would like to find the instrument missing from the hole !
GEE, was a radio navigation system used by the Royal Air Force during World War II. The Rebecca/Eureka transponding radar was a short-range radio navigation system used for the dropping of airborne forces and their supplies.

Highly unlikely it is off a US aircraft unless UK modified.
All the switches and the fusebox are Air Ministry (RAF) pattern so 99% probability it is off a British (or Canadian) made aircraft of British design.

To the right of the fuse box is some writing on a tag. If it is engraved or stamped try and clean that up (tooth brush and tooth paste will do little more than remove corrosion). Otherwise try a strong light at different angles.

Part numbers and inspection stamps (other than HT in a circle) are a great time saver.

Last edited:
The only 9834 numbers I can find are on the oil filler on the Grumman J2F Duck and I am sure that is not applicable.

Hopefully others can come up with better clues - especially Russian, German, British and other smaller manufacturing nations.

I do do not recall seeing a combined Rebecca/Gee switch box like this in any images/drawings of any WWII combat aircraft.
Something about the way it is packaged makes me think it is part of a training or testing rig.
Or maybe a post-war package?

You may be right though interior photos of British aircraft are not that common so I would not rule out an aircraft fitment. I suppose there is a list out there somewhere of which aircraft carried both Gee and Rebecca which would narrow the search massively but ballast (avionics, also known as boat anchors) was never of great interest for me.
Having the power supply for both units on a separate panel suggests a late model version of a type where they were a retrofit rather than an item that was in the original design.

What part of the world was if found? Newark UK or Newark USA? And if USA which of the many states with a city of that name.

If North America then it would suggest Canadian and they produced many submodels of the Lanc in very small numbers - from memory there were only two Mk 10AR aircraft for example (KB976 and ???) but it is unlikely to be from one of those as they were Arctic Research and definitely had no Gee, and probably no Rebecca.

That tag to the right of the fuse box appears to be Rotary Converter so is not much help (tho again Brit terminology as the Yanks would label it Inverter). A photo showing the 35 amp CB on the right and photos of the back may help also. Some manufacturers have little quirks that make it easy to say that is a xxx part. My substantial Brit experience is unfortunately limited to Anson, Beaufort, Beaufighter, Bolingbroke (Blenheim), Dove, Heron, Hurricane, Lancaster, Lysander and Spitfire and some minor, mainly wooden, types.

1635918908279.png

Hey R robert.copley1 ,

I found a reference to a combined Gee and Rebecca switch box installed in the T Mk 11 Marathon navigation training aircraft. Unfortunately, I have not found any photos of the stations/control panels. Possibly, the same or similar unit was used in other post-war RAF navigation training aircraft, so if you can find photos of the various electronic stations maybe your panel will show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back